Married and reviewing finances

L

Learner

My hubbie and I tied the knot last Feb. Although I've downloaded info. from revenue.ie I'm still confused as to what is the best way to handle our income tax - jointly or separately. He earns approx. 35k gross and I earn approx. 50k gross. Also, I bought the house where we live before we married so it's in my name only. Since my husband has never owned property can he still qualify for first time buyers status? We have a number of questions regarding the best way to handle our personal finances - can anyone recommend an independent financial advisor in South Dublin e.g. neither of us have a pension, I have an SSIA falling due in August, etc. Thanks in advance.

Although I've downloaded info. from revenue.ie I'm still confused as to what is the best way to handle our income tax - jointly or separately. He earns approx. 35k gross and I earn approx. 50k gross

Personally I don't thing it matters which way you arrange your tax affairs as you are both earning over the SRCOP

Something like this came up before. See here

Since my husband has never owned property can he still qualify for first time buyers status

No, when you got married your property became his.

We have a number of questions regarding the best way to handle our personal finances

Why not ask them on AAM - someone may be able to give you some advise

neither of us have a pension

You can off set pension contributions against 2005 income up to Oct.
If your husbands taxable income goes below 32K because of pension contributions etc then you should consider joint assessment.

Back