marriage to a us citizen - legal implications

I

indigoblue

I will be marrying a US citizen in New York later this year - we will also be signing a pre nup in the states. What will the status of our marriage be in Ireland? do we need to register it here in order for my fiancee to apply to work in Ireland (our primary base will be the US). Also what would the status of the pre nup be (in ireland) if we divorced. Should I see an Irish family lawyer to discuss these matters in advance? Thanks.

I got married in a foreign country last year (both of us irish) and upon return was told when I phoned the registry office that there is no requirement (or method) of registering a foreign marraige in Ireland. So long as it is a recognised (and legal) civil marraige in the country in which you marry it is recognised in Ireland.

I would think as far as pre nup and divorces go, if it comes to divorce you will have to apply for the divorce in the country in which you live, so if you live there it would be handled there under US law.

I would see an Irish family law solicitor if I were you.

Thanks for that information truthseeker - is there a recommended list of family lawyers I can consult or is it merely plucking one off the internet?

Thanks for that information truthseeker - is there a recommended list of family lawyers I can consult or is it merely plucking one off the internet?

Maybe have a look at sites like rollercoaster.ie where there might be recommendations? Or word of mouth from friends/family?

Your post raises other questions, civil marriage between homosexual couples is not recognised in Ireland, and there are no doubt other unions that are not recognised also (if one partner is below legal age in Ireland for example).

However, I believe so long as both partners meet Irish requirements in terms of gender, age, relationship to partner (not related by blood etc - there is a list laid out by the HSE) that a valid marriage from another country would be recognised in Ireland.

I'm irish and I got married to an US citizen in Italy. I needed to get a letter of freedom from the state (Ireland) saying that I was free to marry. We didn't need to register the marraige here either.

Back