Marks & Spencers. Receipts at till on request.

We bought a tv set recently in one of those huge stores. The salesman completed the sale and gave us the packed tv and brought us to the cash till (we pay in cash). I was asked loads of questions, telephone number, email address, mobile telephone number, was I the main breadwinner (now there's a word we don't hear too much of these days) etc. We spent more time at the cash till than in the process of buying the item. Obviously, we were supplying the outlet with loads of stuff which they use for future sales drives and sales tracking. Great! But not on my time please Rant Over

The 1980 Act only requires proof of purchase if goods are not merchantable. The Act doesn't mention a receipt per se.

This proof in the past was always considered to be a receipt or a credit card statement, bank statement, cheque stub, or unique Retailer Label on a product.

Today, e-mails are currently accepted as proof.

Also as mentioned by Sue Ellen, I think it's a great idea to have the guarantee detailed in the e-mail together with details of the product purchased. Of course we know from The Act that guarantees are in addition to the rights afforded by the Act. So, it's all good news for the consumer - particularly by having these now available in electronic format.

Having e-mails and texts as proof of purchase is an excellent idea and will be particularly helpful for those who pay by cash and or those who otherwise cannot provide paper proof (for example a lost receipt).

For those who prefer a receipt provided at the till - they should definitely ask for one if they are not currently being offered one.

Marion

Last edited:
Hello Marion,

While the above may be true, I think the majority of us who have ever tried to return an item in a shop have found the staff members first question to be - have you got a receipt. Those who do not have a receipt and may have paid for the item by cash, then sometimes find themselves struggling to secure their rights with retailers trying to push credit notes rather than refunds etc.

For this reason more than others, I think retailers should be compelled to issue them, or at least automatically offer them and if a customer refuses then it's at their descretion.

You pay you should get a receipt unless you say specifically you don't want 1. I was in the foodhall and the cashier was asking each person do you need a receipt, but receipt was already printing so hardly to save paper! I took mine and with the receipt was a £5 voucher for next spend which is quite common. So if you don't take a receipt you don't get that either then. Who gets those? Staff? The woman in front of me clearly had a voucher printed with her receipt which was not given to her.

Back