Marketing a house.

Avns1s

A bit of advice needed.

I'm trying to sell a house without going through an EA. The house is a 3 bed bungalow with a granny flat which we have "incorporated" into the main house giving a fourth bedroom, extra bathroom and a living room or study.

Question is: Should we market the house as a 4 bed/ 3 reception room house or as a 3 bedroom house with self contained granny flat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I Would market it as seperately. depends on area and target market. it it is investor then two potential lets is always better but if for owner occupier / ftb etc then it might be best to market as 4 bed. i would phrase it as three bed house plus one bed self contained unit/apartment as granny flat has alot of negative connotations for some people. important for the house to be bright and airy and give if you have to take out any old curtains or things that might be to your taste but that would be personal to you etc. like ornaments/and the like?! how are you going to advertise...daft?private seller/paper ?

Get a few estate agents out have a chat tell them u are thinking of selling,let them think you will use them but do it yourself and get free advice of them

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Money man, I agree with everything that you say. The trick is to get to to as large an audience as possible, include everyone without alienating anyone! So hard to know which way to pitch it. It's a large enough rural property about 5 miles outside a large town in the west so I'm not convinced of rental potential.

Probably will advertise on Daft. I wonder how has this worked for people?

Already had a go on the papers with no success.

Have already acted on your advice dodo.

Thanks again.

Market what you have planning permission for. You should probably check with your solicitor first. Self contained living accommodation needs planning permission, if you don't have it market as a house with extra bedroom. If you have planning permission for it then disclose this in the marketing material so that the purchaser knows their options

Avns1s said:
Should we market the house as a 4 bed/ 3 reception room house or as a 3 bedroom house with self contained granny flat.
The location of the property in terms of area and street dictates the max price you will get for it. It could turn out that one configuration or the other will fetch the same price.
How far from the top is your property in both configuration or is it exceeding it already?
I would market it in both configuration....

Back