Mark Shipman's Investment course

sorry - i only invested in ones that are available on the spreadbetting company [broken link removed].

The nifty isn't on them as you say.

Ok thats great thanks...did you read the finacial spread betting handbook before hand?(unless you had previous s.b knowledge)

No - I didn't read it before hand.

I had an idea of it anyay though from sports spreadbetting.

Also- the spreadbetting companies give plenty of info on their sites about it.

You cn also avail of free one-to-one session if you are prepared to dop into their office.

I have been interested in spread betting for a while but only use simulator accounts. What is the standard input that is required to get an account up and running?

Read shipmans book and its a pretty good read. Again the thought of "gambling" is putting me off slightly.

I have been interested in spread betting for a while but only use simulator accounts. What is the standard input that is required to get an account up and running?

Read shipmans book and its a pretty good read. Again the thought of "gambling" is putting me off slightly.

WIth delta index you eed to put in a minimum of €1,000.

WIth wotrldspreads there is no minimum.
ALso with worldspreads the spreads are tighter - and also with worldspreads they will refund you losses of up to €750 after 8 weeks of trading - something deltaindex don't do.

SO for my money worldspreads is a no-brainer in teh irish market.

Also - spreadbetting is not gambling.

For anyone who has read shipmas book out there.

WHat do u make of his technical trading strategy?

I like his buy signal.

Now - far be it from me to criticise anything he does but his exit strategy to me seems a little too insensitive to downward movements.

Does anyone else think this?

I've back tested it wiuth a few dozen stocks (Not exactly exhaustive i know !!) - but he seems to lose an awful lot of his gains by exiting when the price dips below the 40 week sma.
Like - a 40 week sma takes a long time to react.

Any opinions anyone?

On my brief testing i figured exiting when the price is below the 20 week sma seemed more effective.

He admits as much himself qwertyuiop, while his buy signal seems to work well, he does say that judging when to exit is far more problematic, he does list several other exit criteria too however.

He admits as much himself qwertyuiop, while his buy signal seems to work well, he does say that judging when to exit is far more problematic, he does list several other exit criteria too however.

I thought that seemed to be his main rule of thumb though no?

I do remember him mentioning that if you get ridiculous gains out of the blue then just take ytour gains and run.

I don't remember off-hand what other exit signals he had.

WHat were they again?

I managed to sneak into a cancellation place at his january 27 dublin seminar yesterday due to a cancellation.

I'll report back on my experience.

You have to remember with these sort of techniques is that they only work when few people use them, therefore the few can take advantage of the quirks in the market like mark shipman himself, however when many people start using them, which will now be the case, they will start moving the market by the sheer volume of trades trading in the same direction according to his signals. I agree with shipmans analysis of the overall trend in commodities but not in using his techniques

You have to remember with these sort of techniques is that they only work when few people use them, therefore the few can take advantage of the quirks in the market like mark shipman himself, however when many people start using them, which will now be the case, they will start moving the market by the sheer volume of trades trading in the same direction according to his signals. I agree with shipmans analysis of the overall trend in commodities but not in using his techniques

I'm not sure i'd go along with that.
I think the opposite could be argued in fact.
You could call technical analysis a self fulfilling prophecy.
i.e.e if everyone all buys at the same signal it will just up the demand which will up the trend even further.

ANd even if what you are saying is correct I doubt very much that a few dozen small time investors will have much impact on the overall market.

Out of curiosity - why don't you like his techniques by the way?

I thought that seemed to be his main rule of thumb though no?

I do remember him mentioning that if you get ridiculous gains out of the blue then just take ytour gains and run.

I don't remember off-hand what other exit signals he had.

WHat were they again?

I managed to sneak into a cancellation place at his january 27 dublin seminar yesterday due to a cancellation.

I'll report back on my experience.

You'll have to share the knowledge! Let us know if he makes any interesting revelations.

Firstky he only he ever looks at end of week closing prices.

He claims the only couple of hours of studying charts is done at the w/e.

If an end of weeks closing price is higher than all of the last 12 end of weeks closing prices and that closing price is higher than the 40 week moving average and the 40 week moving average is ascending then he buys.

That data sounds very simple to graph to study the theory based on iseq shares for example. Is there a website that graphs this showing these trends?

ya - go onto yahoo finance - you can put it any moving avrages you ant.

I think you can only do days on yahoo though.

So the 40 week average would correspond to the 200 day average.

According to shipman he reckons stich to teh weekly charts thouh - i reckon they're probably similar though - not identical though.

""So the 40 week average would correspond to the 200 day average.""

that moving average is not quite the same thing as mark does...

you dont even need to chart the closing moving averages...just enter in excel every weekend...and do an average of the previous 40 weeks friday closing price...very very simple to do.

what you refer to above , where everybody does the same thing, is known as a 'self-fulfilling prophecy'........john murphy writes about this in his famous book about technical analysis, and argues that it doesnt really happen, as people, just wont all do the same thing....human nature will cause them to change their strategies etc....

what you refer to above , where everybody does the same thing, is known as a 'self-fulfilling prophecy'........john murphy writes about this in his famous book about technical analysis, and argues that it doesnt really happen, as people, just wont all do the same thing....human nature will cause them to change their strategies etc....
I havent read that book but I think the point about these areas being significant is that large numbers of buy and sell order are placed there especially by institutions and when the price is triggered the move is exacerbated by the demand.

Back