maple flooring with ivory, oak or walnut cabinets

clownie

We have maple flooring in our sitting room and want to get to built in units in the alcove either side of the fireplace. One for the tv etc and the other side a matching unit with a pull out keyboard shelf so we can use it as a home office. Originally I planned getting ivory spray painted units but today we say oak cabinets and really liked them. However I am afraid they will clash with the maple floors. Someone also suggested getting them made in walnut.

So our choices are;
Off white/ivory painted units
Oak
Walnut

So if anyone has any advice re. which would be better with the maple flooring please let me know!
Thanks

I guess it all boils down to individual taste and what overall look you wish to achieve in your livingroom.

Personally, I like to have only one type of wood in a room, too many types of wood can be overpowering and tiresome after a while. I think oak would clash with your maple floors, they're similar woods in overall colour but they have different hues.

Walnut might be a nice contrast to your maple floors providing it's a dark walnut to contrast with your lighter floors.

However, off white/ivory painted units get my vote......a nice, modern airy look!

Try to get some samples/off cuts of each choice of wood to see what looks well with your floor and take your time with deciding.

Thanks I am afraid the oak will clash. If we got walnut I would definitely go with dark walnut. Dh likes the idea of wood and thinks it is horrible to have painted solid wood -nicer to show the grain. Good idea about getting samples. Hopefully the shop will give/lend us some.

Would definitely go with the ivory/off white look. Walnut/oak would clash with maple I would think.

We have ivory kitchen units and I would highly recommend them. They brighten up the kitchen a lot as we have black marble work top.
Oak / walnut I would consider to be too dark and would clash.

I would go with oak cabinets as they really look good and add elegance to your kitchen. I have just installed oak cabinets last year in my kitchen and still it is and eye catching thing in my kitchen.

Hi

Tks for the replies. The person who came to take measurements brought the 3 different doors. Off white/ivory won! The oak was too similar yet too different to the maple floors and the dark walnut was just too dark and bland so we are going with off white. Dh who was mad keen to get oak is now satisfied that off white is best.

Glad the decision has been made! Don't think you will regret it. Rather than having two different woods "spitting" at each other, both your new cabinets and your wooden floor will now both compliement each other and stand out in their own right!

Back