Mapfre Warranty

LouisLaLoope

I'm looking to buy a 2007 diesel Toyota Avensis from a Toyota dealer. Usually you get a Toyota warranty for a year. I've found a TR model (like the Irish Luna model) with a Toyota dealer but I'm told that because it's a UK import, it comes with a Mapfre Warranty instead of the usual Toyota one.

Has anyone come across this before? Any experience of Mapfre? Anything dodgy about this that I'm missing?!

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Mapfre supply Europewide breakdown support and repair-referral services for major motor and travel insurance companies. Their extended warranty policies are also sold by Irish and UK motor traders.

At a guess I'd say that what's on offer is either the tail-end of a UK extended warranty or a policy being sold (included in the vehicle purchase price) by the Irish dealer.

You'll need to check exactly what's on offer (24 x 7 cover, geographic limitations, specific exclusions, etc.) and what needs to be done to comply with the T&Cs of the policy (remember it's an insurance policy). I don't know if the offer of the policy releases the dealer from his legal obligations to you as a consumer or if the policy is in addition to your rights as a consumer. [broken link removed]
HTH

Thanks, Pat. I've a copy of both warranties (Toyota and Mapfre) so will compare and contrast! Just not sure why a Toyota main dealer won't give me their standard warranty on a UK import. It doesn't inspire confidence, you know? I might get the AA to look over the car or maybe I'm being too careful...

I think the policy is one that will be sold inclusive of the purchase price and I think it has to be in addition to my consumer rights - I don't think a warranty can contract a garage out of its statutory obligations. But I'll be checking that out!

Thanks again.

My car is coming up on three years old and I am told I can extend the warranty though Mapfre with my dealer. It would suit me to have peace of mind and to purchase the additional warranty rather than buy a new car. Anyone any recent experiences of this Mapfre warranty ?

I always pay to extend warranty on my own and my family cars once they are being held onto of course, they are better and easier to deal with than a warranty claim with the manufacturer and will help to sell on the vehicle, I pay €680 for three year extension, essential to keep a service history during this time.

I always pay to extend warranty on my own and my family cars once they are being held onto of course, they are better and easier to deal with than a warranty claim with the manufacturer and will help to sell on the vehicle, I pay €680 for three year extension, essential to keep a service history during this time.
Does it pay itself back do you think? It sounds high

I don't recall the company name but it wasn't mapfre, I've used the same garage for car servicing/repairs and some purchases for years now and if I need it on a car I buy it from them, if you refer to your sales people they can direct you.

As regards value well I never had a claim but one of the cars did with the next owner, the timing chain stretched in a 5 series after my period of ownership but the car still had part of the extended warranty on it, the costs would have been high but the policy covered a lot if not all of the repair costs.

I'm considering putting one on my sons Fiesta, we have had engine valve problems whilst still inside the Ford warranty that concerns me, if he is going to hold that car for a few years beyond manufacturer warranty then it's definitely getting a warranty, Ford did their best to stick me with a massive bill for a fault with the valve and if that happened in the future the policy would seem cheap.

It is a gamble of course but does give peace of mind if you don't trust the car not to give you a chunky repair bill as it gets older and out of manufacturer warranty.

Dealer sys they use Mapfre.. Another company is carprotect..ie So anyone know which is best or any other company.

Back