Manual Handling Instructor

Jay1981

My brother has just been made redundant from his job and wants to get into being a manual handling instructor. He has been a trainer for 5 years. Do companies still conduct manual handling? Is it a worthwhile job to get into? Would an employer hire you for having it done?

manual handling training is suppose to be given to most employees, however it is not given. Some companies get some of their employees trained to become manual handling instructors, they can then train their own staff.

What training did your brother do before becoming redundant?

Some instructors courses are sometimes part funded by fas. Could be worth a try.

I have worked in a few hospitals and I had to do manual handling courses. They are usually conducted by a member of staff in the hospital. The HSE recruitment website, and the health and safety authority might be places to start.

It would be difficult to make a living out of manual handling training on its own, and I doubt if anyone would be employing him on this basis alone. Most health & safety trainers will do manual handling along with a suite of other courses too. You might pick up some contract work, particularly from local authorities. Many of these have had to cut their own H&S people as many of these weren't on permanent contracts, so they will now have to go out to the market to get MH training and ergonomic assessments at three times the cost.

MH is broadly broken in to Patient movements ( hospitals, nursing homes) and industrial( inanimate objects)

Would be very hard to do both as a generic MH instuctor.

As Complainer says, most H&S trainers would offer MH as part of a suite of training packages.

The big training providers often offer contract work, however its rarely risk based and they just offer MH generic course , rather then the bespoke course that addresses the actual MH issues with in a workplace.

MH training is currently been reviewed by H.S.A and likely to follow the OFA route and become more closely regulated.

I doubt one could make a living just from MH training.

Last edited:
Venue staff must take them too, I have done a few courses, although personally i think an hour on how to lift a box is a joke

A Patient Handling Course takes a full day a regular manual handling course takes 3 hours. It should involve showing people how to lift loads that they would regularily have to lift. Currently FAS grant aid is limited to those that are unemployed for 6 months or more.

Sean Kelleher
www.qualtec.ie

Last edited by a moderator:
Back