Management company won't let me put up wireless antenna

P

piggy

Hi,

I'm going to use AAM as my first port of call for this problem I'm having. I'll try to summarise the issue as succinctly as I can.

I've just moved into a new house and wish to get broadband.
Originally I wanted NTL as I have the digital TV package already. Unfortunately I was told that NTL wouldn't be in my particular part of the estate for about 6 months.
I do not presently have a phone line, nor do I want one so that rules out (for me) phoneline broadband. I also believe the phoneline packages to be poor.
So, I started to look at wireless broadband. The only type which I can get requires me to put up a small 2ft by 2ft antenna somewhere on my property.
I live in a Duplex, on top of another duplex.

Having talked to the builders about erecting the antenna they assured me that it had little to do with them and told me I should contact the management company about it. I thought about just sticking it up without telling anyone but did not want to upset either my neighbours (of which I presently have none) nor in anyway take away from the overall look of the estate.

So, after dealing with someone in the property management company for a while she finally got back to me yesterday by informing me that I was not allowed to put one up.

I asked her why and she could not give me any concrete answer as to why. She started to say that there might be objections and that they were worried that if they allowed me put one up then everyone would want to.
I asked why there might be objections and she stated that because I was in a duplex I was sharing walls with neighbours.
I pointed out that many of the semi-detached houses in the estate (who also share walls) have rather large Sky satelite dishes on them to whcih she replied that that was a good point and that she'd bring this up with them.
In relation to objections I suggested a consensus. I have also outlined all of my points, including why I want wireless broadband and why I don't believe that allowing me to put an antenna up would result in a flood of people following suit (NTL being available in most other parts of the estate) in an email to her.

My problem at this stage is simply this - I don't believe unless I p*** and moan at her night and day that she's going to do anything for me. I also don't believe that the committe took my request very seriously. I can only guess but I imagine that they heard the word antenna and the word duplex and just said no. The girl I'm dealing with seems reasonable about it, especially after visiting my property herself, but the committe sound quite beaurocratic.

So...after all that. My questions are as follows:

1) Can the management company legally force me to take down an antenna if I put it up regardless?
2) If yes to the above, can they just do it or do they require a number of objections from other residents?
3) Other than p***ing and moaning what else can I do (bar just putting it up behind their back)?

All suggestions welcome.

Can't answer any of your questions as such. However, i can't see how a sky dish could be allowed and a wireless dish cannot.
I am not aware of the kit that Irish Broadband are using but wireless broadband antennae can be quite discrete. There are flat panel antennas used which are just screwed into the external wall [broken link removed] or omni antennas [broken link removed] .

I think the word antenna conjures up a nasty looking device in most peoples minds. If you have a picture of the antenna - and it is unobstrusive - then show it to the individual concerned.

However, from what you describe, it sounds like they have said 'no' because its easier for them that way and they dont want the hassle.

<EDIT> Links fixed </EDIT>

Thanks serotonin.

However, from what you describe, it sounds like they have said 'no' because its easier for them that way and they dont want the hassle.

Yes, that's the way it looks to me also.

That's a very good idea re the picture of the antenna. Irish broadband don't have one but I might send on the pics you provided as an example (although the links don't seem to be working for me).

I must admit though that I am definitely leaning towards just putting it up and dealing with the consequences (if any) later on. I'd just like to know what they might be.

Lease agreement

When I bought in a similar complex I got a lease agreement which had many rules in it - one of them specifically states no satellite dishes allowed. Perhaps you need to have a look at that paperwork. Mine was handed over by solicitors on day I got keys.

Re: Lease agreement

Yes - the terms & conditions of the management company agreement (should be included with your legal documentation if your are a householder) should clarify what the letter of the law is in this regard. Once you know that you can go back to the powers that be. Don't forget that if you are a householder then you are normally a member/shareholder in the management company so it's not quite the "them and us" situation that it may appear at first glance. Of course membership of the management company doesn't obviate the need to adhere to the relevant legal agreement(s) to which you have signed up.

For what it's worth my own management company agreement also has certain restrictions on aerials etc. and of course the (e.g. PP required for dishes on the front of a house, aerials over certain heights etc.) but not such that standard dishes and wireless broadband etc. aerials are not allowed.

Thanks for the clarifications Trixie and Clubman.

the terms & conditions of the management company agreement (should be included with your legal documentation if your are a householder) should clarify what the letter of the law is in this regard

I'll need to check these but I think that given their lack of solid answer yesterday as to why they won't allow me put the antenna up suggest that there may not be any condition which stops me from doing so. But I'm guessing.

I'll check that later tonight.

If there is a specific rule in your lease agreement banning these installations, why didn't they just quote it when informing you that you couldn't install it??
Anyway, what was the girl like then?? :b

Piggy,

You don't want to land up in this situation either

What is this 'management company' ?

Is it that you are renting the house and they represent your landlord ?

Or is it in some way that you own the house but not the freehold

Or is it an appt. ?

( If it had been mine I would have just put it up and painted it in to match the surrounding walls....I presume its just a directional antenna ... look around & you will see them all over the place )

Maybe the guy next door would like internet access too ... perhaps you could split the bills with him :)

Re: .

Many housing and apartment developments these days are private and not taken in charge by the local authority. This applies even in the case of certain housing developments that are not "gated in" or have public right of ways through them etc. and is often due to characteristics of the land title and/or the development. In cases such as this where the local authority is not responsible for all or any maintenance (e.g. utilities, waste management, upkeep, roads, public lighting etc.) a management company is usually formed at the outset which is responsible for these matters and more (e.g. public liability insurance, upkeep of common/green areas, sinking fund for contingencies etc.). In some cases the local authority may accept responsibility for some management but not all - my own estate is a case in point where water/sewage utilities and refuse collection (subject to the normal charge separate from the management fee) are done by Dublin City Council with many other matters the responsibility of the management company. Each householder becomes a member/shareholder of the management company and they usually engage the services of a management agent whose job it is to deal with the day to day issues. In some cases the management company members do the hands on management themselves. The members of the company pay an annual management fee (in my case it's c. €250 p.a. but in apartment developments it can be a lot more) which is set each year based on the projected budget etc. There is nothing to stop the householders in such a private development lobbying the local authority and local/national representatives to get their area taken in charge but I'm not sure what the process is. However, as long as the development is not taken in charge and a management company exists there is generally no discretion on the part of householders (the owners not tenants) in terms of being members of the company and paying the annual fee (i.e. it's not like a residents' association that you can choose to join or not) - it is usually covered by an additional legally binding agreement (covenant?) signed along with the property deeds at the time of purchase.

Does that make sense to you?

If there is a specific rule in your lease agreement banning these installations, why didn't they just quote it when informing you that you couldn't install it??

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking sunnyday.

Anyway, what was the girl like then??

Difficult to tell from over the phone and all but she sounds kinda cute :p

You don't want to land up in this situation either Satellite dish on neighbour's house

Absolutely sueellen. That's why I approached them in the first place. Mind you I have no neighbours yet. I'm still waiting (praying) for the two single Swedish girls to move in!

elderdog, it's what Clubman has so eloquently described :)

One other suggestion...
go over to boards.ie - the broadband forum - so a search by member name for 'chaz'. He works for irish broadband. Find out from him via pm what kit they are using on the client end. If its the flat panel box, most people wont even know what it is/wont notice it - and its no different to having one of those alarm boxes on the side of the wall.

You can find out from him where their mast is in relation to your apartment - and deduct from this where the box would need to go...

He may have other suggestions for you as their bound to be hitting this problem every day of the week.

Excellent advice serotonin sid. Thank you very much.

Find out from him via pm what kit they are using on the client end. If its the flat panel box, most people wont even know what it is/wont notice it - and its no different to having one of those alarm boxes on the side of the wall.

The standard Irish Broadband Breeze client gear is described although it may be possible to get other gear (e.g. RipWave which involves no external antenna or else a flat panel antenna - at an additional cost - if the site is suitable etc.). The standard antenna is a bit like an MMDS parabolic antenna and is 60cm square.

Roll on the deployment of [broken link removed], hopefully next year, which will dispense with the need for external aerials altogether...

You can find out from him where their mast is in relation to your apartment

I thought that piggy was in a house and not an apartment? If it's an apartment then I would be less surprised if the management company placed restrictions on the placement/installation of aerials etc.

Update: errrr, I supposed I really should get into the habit of reading posts in full before responding... :eek:

I live in a Duplex, on top of another duplex.

As per my point above, the fact that it is a duplex above another as opposed to being a self contained house (whether detached, semi-detached or terraced) means that I'm be less surprised that there may be restrictions on mounting aerials etc. However the main thing is to ascertain for sure what restrictions do exist before getting back to the management company/agent about this matter.

Just out of interest - is an option in your area as it dispenses with the need for an external aerial?

Is the development mixed apartments/duplexes/Houses- the management company probabluy decided that one size fits all wrt the rules?
As an aside,(I'm going to regret saying this) an apartment complex cluttered with satellite dishes looks terrible - and prob makes it look too similar to a corpo development.

Just out of interest - is Irish Broadband RipWave an option in your area as it dispenses with the need for an external aerial?

No. I rang Irish Broadband about ripwave but unfortunately I'm between masts (Three Rock and Tallaght) so I can't get ripwave.

BTW, WiMax looks deadly!

Is the development mixed apartments/duplexes/Houses- the management company probabluy decided that one size fits all wrt the rules?
As an aside,(I'm going to regret saying this) an apartment complex cluttered with satellite dishes looks terrible - and prob makes it look too similar to a corpo development.

I tend to agree with your last point.

Yes. It's a mixed development. Houses, duplexes (which don't look like apartments) and apartments. I agree that everyone having satelite dishes up would look fairly dodgy alright. However, the complex itself is about 2-3 years old now and we're phase four or something. There's a smattering of houses which have dishes already (but the number is relatively small). In relation to broadband most people have NTL coverage so it's unlikely that me adding a small antenna would cause a glut of other people to want to follow suit.

Wireless Broadband

Hi - does anyone know of companies supplying the wireless type of broadband for Galway. I am building a house and would like to incorporate this. Irish Broadband only seem to service Dublin.

Re: Wireless Broadband

@kfpg: In terms of wireless broadband, Leap and Irish Broadband were both successful in getting licenses to supply a service in the Galway City area. They have not utilised these licenses and have a few months left (i think) to use them or lose them.

Re: Wireless Broadband

DigiWeb satellite broadband is available countrywide in case that's of any use but the installation and monthly subscription costs are significantly higher than other broadband options.

Back