Management company refuses to repair roof leak

*sigh*. Not looking to get in an argument with you. Forget it. Thank you!

Relax it's just the way he read it.

Do you know where the leak is, would you be willing to pay for it to be fixed? Is the location easily reached?

Do you know where the leak is, would you be willing to pay for it to be fixed? Is the location easily reached?

I wouldn't recommend that approach. That could leave the OP liable for significant costs if they undertook unauthorised work on property that does not belong to them.

I wouldn't recommend that approach. That could leave the OP liable for significant costs if they undertook unauthorised work on property that does not belong to them.

I'm sorry Leo I take a different view. If a leak is allowed to get worse it will do serious damage, then he'll have no tenants and no income and be in a lot more trouble.

I'm sorry Leo I take a different view. If a leak is allowed to get worse it will do serious damage, then he'll have no tenants and no income and be in a lot more trouble.

I hear you, leaks can result in very significant damage over time, but undertaking illegal works could leave them in a much worse situation. And that's even assuming they can get someone to carry out the work without proper authorisation.

I've a friend in a very similar situation who's also getting nowhere fast as the MC say they have no money due to the number of units not paying their charges. They told the MC they'd just go get the work done themselves, the MC warned them they if they proceeded, the MC would take action against them for the full costs of undoing anything they did plus all repairs required to the area.

If they have written permission from the MC to do the repairs would that resolve the legal position? My concern would be going forward would it have any impact on the insurance or on any future repairs. The MC would have to undertake to accept the job done by whoever the OP gets to to the work.

Yes, that would then allow for the work to take place, but they are then liable for all costs incurred. Leaks can be notoriously difficult to track down, and expensive to repair. Introduce the height involved in most apartment complexes and that brings the extra expense of scaffolding, hoists, etc. into it. The investigation phase alone could run into thousands, the repairs, 10s of thousands.

They would also need to be very careful that the agreement with the MC dosen't end up with them being responsible for any ongoing or future issues in that area. I'd strongly recommend seeking legal advice before going down that road.

Back