Man City debacle - will there be trouble for its auditors ?

trajan

Registered User
Messages
370
It says here that Manchester City FC overstated its income over the years of its current ownership by some £855 million.

I'm wondering where this reality leaves Man City's auditors. In recent years it's become normal for major companies to change auditors. But will that allow a departing audit firm to evade its responsibilities in having given the "true and fair" statement in previous years ?

I'm guessing that only Big 10 audit firms (or else a firm with special expertise in auditing of major sports clubs) would have the capabilities to deal with the various accounting and international tax law issues arising in such work.

And I'm remembering Enron and Arthur Andersen.

I suppose it highlights the moral hazards inherent in the higher professions. Take an honest path, you get a name among the business community of being an outrider for the tax office and struggling for clients. Take a more 'open' approach and you're a wideboy and someone no respectable person would want to be seen trading with.
 
Last edited:
From my perspective all we are seeing is further confirmation that vast sums of wealth concentrated in the hands of few ultimately breeds a culture of corruption. Juventus, Barcelona, Chelsea in recent times, and now Man City.

These are the ones that have been caught.

Infantino's relationship with Trump.

The attempted European Super League a few years back was nothing more than an attempt by the business side of elite clubs to set up a mouth-watering revenue stream and nothing to do with supporters, grassroots, tradition.

I'm sick of how this sport is 'governed'. I say this as a lifelong Liverpool supporter. Visited Anfield twice in last 3 yrs. The famous atmosphere is sucked dry by hoards of visiting tourists attending the game spending £££'s in souvenirs, jerseys. No harm to them (I'm one of them), but the business side of football is squeezing out the loyal local support in favour of us visiting supporters.

Get down to your local League of Ireland ground and dump this gross corruption.
 
Back
Top