Man’s hair cutter / strimmer - home barber

cmalone

Any suggestions for a hair cutter / strimmer. Have a beard strimmer and did a decent job on head - but a proper head hair machine would be better I expect. Any suggestions - ideas. Buy online or in shop?

I bought this some years ago and it works a treat as I wear my hair short (well bald really just for trimming the remaining bits!) Rechargable battery powered and I don't need mirrors or other gizmos to give myself a short back and shine. It came with a little battery-powered clippers for moustaches, noses and ears presumably. Can't remember what I paid but Babyliss Men is the brand name. The clear plastic ring in the middle photo provides adjustment for hair length. Apologies for the bits of dead s-k-i-n and hair in the photos, I've just come out of hibernation.

I use a regular beard trimmer for the beard.

Attachments

• IMG_1807.jpeg
    IMG_1807.jpeg
    703.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1808.jpeg
    IMG_1808.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1810.jpeg
    IMG_1810.jpeg
    898.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thank you kindly. Have a few men in family with hair - probably 3 or 4 type level at barber.

Hair clippers are difficult to get at the moment. Amazon aren't delivering until late May or June, and they seem to be selling unknown brands from China. Argos is closed, of course. I managed to get a new Wahl Vogue on eBay at a reasonable price, delivered via Addresspal. Used it this week, the recipient was satisfied with the haircut!

I have the same one as mathepac but that version isn't available anymore. They all seem to be clipper types now.

https://www.babyliss.co.uk/grooming/clippers/

I had one, dropped it and couldn't get a new one so I searched on ebay and I got a 'new' second hand one that somebody had bought in error. I now have one with a spare. I never liked the clipper type.

Last edited:
I was looking this week too. Very difficult to source. Argos UK have them on eBay, but when you try to order, they say they are only selling clearance items due to high demand. There seems to be a lot of price gouging; sellers with only a few sales in their history and selling items for 2 or 3 times the normal price.
If you see something you might use, it's good to google a review for that make and model. Often there will be a recommended retail price with it and the mark-up can be eye-watering. Also some reviewers have warned about ending up with poor quality counterfeit versions of well known brands like Wahl.

Hello,

I bought a "Igylar professional cordless clippers" on Amazon.co.uk. It came complete with a selection of blades and other accessories, at a cost of £40.

I could have bought a cheaper alternative, but I liked the fact that it was cordless, while customer reviews were also fairly positive.

Shipping details indicated that it would arrive in about 6 weeks, but it actually arrived in under 3 weeks.

It's working prefectly and I'm happy to recommend it.

Last edited:
You should look for a model with a replaceable blade and spare attachments.

The battery and motor will essentially go forever, while the plastic attachments get easily broken and the blades get blunt.

The Philips OneBlade system has this for a beard - not recommended for scalp though.

I use a basic own-brand clippers from Boots. Cost about €14 IIRC and I have it for nearly a decade now. My requirements are simple - an all over buzz-cut - and it does the job perfectly.
Unfortunately, it's not on their website ATM and the cheapest equivalent thats actually available is about 5 times as expensive:eek:

I spoke to my local pharmacy and asked them to try and source one for me. Took a about a week and half. They got 5 in and they were gone in 20 minutes after posting it on Facebook.

I bought this one for my Dad about six weeks ago from Argos and have found it very good (Panasonic)

Bought a "babyliss men precision power mains clipper" from Molloy's Pharmacy. Delivered the next day - large range of blades (1 to 8 ), it was around €30. They are sold out of that at the moment, but if you start an online chat with them from their site, they might be able to help you out.

Clippers itself is very good - mains powered only and it gives a very good clean cut & easy to use.

Back