Malta

dillsquatt

We are thinking of going here for a week in September - we just want a relaxed week - good food and wine. We are a couple - early 50s.

My first preference of destination would be France but with all the strikes going on - want to avoid.

Any thoughts on Malta ? Suggestions for hotel etc, town to stay in etc etc.

Many thanks

Hi dillsquatt
My wife and I were in Malta twice and found it lovely. It really depends on what you want to do there. We stayed in the Fortina , all inclusive , for a birthday on one occasion in Sliema. It suited the occasion as there was a choice of about six restaurants , which was perfect as we tried all types of cuisine . Sliema is a lovely part of Malta but there is no beaches . We also went to Valletta on another occasion and it was also a lovely break . It is a lovely city and there are buses to bring you anywhere . The Excelsior is a lovely hotel in Valetta , where we stayed. We would go back to Malta.

Stayed in Malta a couple of times in St. Julian's - a small harbour village. I loved it. It's an island with plenty of history - interesting to see evidence of the influence of all the different countries that have colonised it over the years. I found the people genuinely friendly. Because I can't sit still for very long, I'm not one to lie on the beach all day so I can't really comment on that. I'll usually rent a car and drive around places of interest, or go for walks or cycles. For that kind of holiday, Malta is great. As it relies heavily on tourism for income, tourists are well catered-for - literally. Plenty of choice of restaurants.

I would love to go back to Malta. Bus ticket for a week €6 (early 2015) takes one all around the island. The roads are narrow and winding so travel can be slow. I wouldn't hire a car.

thanks for all your replies - it sounds lovely. It was suggested to me Valencia for a week so now I have too much to think about! Not a bad problem I guess!

Back