Malta

joer

Would anyone who has been to Malta in March recommend it.
What was the weather like.
Thanks so much.

It can be cloudy with temperatures around 16 - 17 C. according to my guide book,but I've been there in December/January and was walking around in my shirtsleeves.

You could try the "Malta Forums" section within the link below, you should find what you're looking for.

I was there during the Summer so cant comment on March weather, but its a lovely place, I'd highly recommend it.

PS some good info on that link about apartments/hotels etc too. Hope you get a good value deal, and enjoy!!

I enjoyed Malta.
If you are able bodied and not with kids I would personally recommend it.
The sight seeing is on par with almost anywhere Ive been, and has great historical interest. Even the 1950's busses as the hobble along bad roads is good fun.
Most travel distances are fairly short.
If going there, schedule a full day at least in Goza, a small island a short ferry trip away, again steeped in history.
What did I not like?
Well we went mid september, and the flies are a nuisance!

Those of us who are retired can travel very cheaply on the buses in Malta.

Has anyone any experience of staying in, either or both, The Excelsior Hotel or the Phoenicia.I would welcome some feedback.Also which would be closer to the city centre.

Thanks

I'd stay in Gozo or Valetta, there's lots of overdeveloped beach resorts in Malta itself.
The Pheonicia is now Irish owned, so that's another plus for it - It's just outside the old city walls of Valetta so central.
Weather in March is a bit like Ireland in May - some lovely days, never too hot but you'd have a jacket on standby and possibility of light rain.

We always stay in the Fortina Spa Tower, which is a ferry ride from the centre of Valetta.

Thanks ,circle,Its Valletta that i am going to ,just not sure which of the two hotels would be best.There are good and not-so-good reviews on both.Glad to hear that the weather wont be too bad though.

Pheonicia would be similar to the Shelbourne (slightly less upmarket though but best local comparison I can think of) - grand old hotel that has been recently renovated but perhaps limited in space for amenities. I've been in it but didn't stay there. It's right outside the main gate into the pedestrian old city, so great location. There is a huge bus terminal outside, so very busy, maybe look for a room at the back?

The excelsior is a modern hotel on the seafront, more resort type amenties but less atmosphere. A few minutes further from the old town. It depends what you're looking for really but i'd go for the Pheonicia personally!

If you're driving (and cars are very cheap - we paid about €80 for a week in March), you can get anywhere in an hour (27kms end to end), it's really not very big so it does work well to stay anywhere on the island and commute. I stayed on Gozo and had no trouble or delays going over and back on the ferry for sightseeing.

Do make sure that you book tickets in advance if you're interested in the archeological sites.

I got married in Malta in April this year. We loved the place and the weather was similar temperature wise to an irish summer. I'd imagine March would be slightly cooler. You would need a light jacket for evenings.

We went all out and stayed in the Hilton in St Julian and we loved the area. Lots of Bars/nightlife within walking distance.

We took buses everywhere and would not have liked to have hired a car as the drivers over there are insane. Old buses were very nice and it was like stepping back to ireland several decades ago. People were extremely friendly too.

It is also euro now, so its easy to see what value you are getting compared to home.

Fireworks in Valetta are fantastic too. I'm not sure if it was a regular thing but we caught them 1 night after been told by locals to go.

Thanks ,circle,Its Valletta that i am going to ,just not sure which of the two hotels would be best.There are good and not-so-good reviews on both.Glad to hear that the weather wont be too bad though.

stayed in the Excelsior before just after it opened and every time i walked past the phoenica i wished we had stayed there, our experience of the excelsior was that service was incredibely slow, remember waiting 20 minutes at the bar to get my change and their restaurant was a rip off for breakfast. For what its worth we flew into malta for 2 weeks with no plans, after 2 days of valetta we went out to gozo and stayed in xlendi bay i st. patrick's hotel, beautiful village and beautiful hotel

we stayed in the hotel julian in october. its a nice small hotel, bus stop directly opposite. would recommend it.

Thanks for all the replies.
We have the Excelsior booked now,it was a toss up with the Phonicia, so i hope we have a better experience than you had,Bamboozle.Would not be that interested in Gozo unless the sea was very very calm.We were in Sliema before but am looking forward to seeing Valetta,a nice hotel and a relaxing break..Just hoping the weather will be good in March.

Back