Male Pup/Dog peeing indoors - help!!

dmos87

Proud owner of two gorgeous Maltese dogs. Our female is 1 1/2 years, and the male is just over a year. We introduced the male after we noticed our female was lonely and after the initial awful first week almost a year ago they are now the best of friends. Our female is dominant and keeps the male in his place and generally rules the roost. She took to housetraining well however has the odd accident when we are out and she cannot get outside.

Our male on the other hand is starting to destroy the place. He not only refuses to be house trained (and really I'm blue in the face from trying) but he has now started "marking his territory" in the house.

My rugs, skirting boards, LONG CURTINS, table corner, etc, etc. have been targeted this week. Final straw today was my partners new sailing shoes (still in the box) which cost a pretty penny. One curtin in particular is a favourite of his and no matter how hard I wash and scrub it he always goes back. I've checked for Amonia in the products I use but theres none there.

I have called a dog trainer today who is going to come out within the week to help us with the house training, but I need tips to stop him marking everywhere!! The indoors pee-ing has started to rub off on the female (caught her squatting today on my rug and stopped her PRONTO). I need to nip it in the bud asap before my house is destroyed.

They are indoor dogs but have access to a rear enclosed garden throughout the day (most they are locked in is about 2 hours)so theres no excuses for them!

Edit: Should note that he is not neutered - we are hoping to breed 1 litter in a years time for family to keep and then both the male and female will be neutered (for health reasons). I know that this can cause them to mark territory.

Another Edit: We love the two of them even though they are currently driving us crazy and getting rid is not an option. If my pup was a child I wouldnt hand it back because it wont potty train!!

Last edited:
Back