Making payment to HMRC

partnership

I have finally got my letter saying I can pay class 2. It says to quote your ni number. How do they know which year you are paying?

Oh congrats sorry I can't help with that, but do you mind me asking when you sent in your form to see what class you would be paying? I sent mind in May but looked on site and it now says I can expect a response in Feb 2024, wverytume I log on and check it keeps giving me a new date.

Oh congrats sorry I can't help with that, but do you mind me asking when you sent in your form to see what class you would be paying? I sent mind in May but looked on site and it now says I can expect a response in Feb 2024, wverytume I log on and check it keeps giving me a new date.
I first sent last Nov got letter to say class 3 s few months ago sent more information and finally they accepted class 2. Still trying to sort out hubby's.

So is the amount you are being asked to pay the total of the 17 years back payments?

My understanding is that HMRC now require you to inform them which tax years you wish to pay for, BEFORE you make the payment. For example, 2008, 2009, 2010, etc. The simplest way at the time I did it was a phone call to a very helpful person In the HMRC. As a result of this conversation HMRC flagged on their system which years they should expect payments for. You can pick and choose from the 17 years available, including the option to pay all 17.

You should now make your choice of tax years and next contact HMRC with this information and they will note their system accordingly. You then add up the total cost of the chosen tax years and make the payment using the appropriate ref no. It’s a combination of your NINO and name.

Once that is done, you can later look up the system to see your updated NI record and a new and improved forecast state pension amount. In normal times this should take place within about 8 weeks but we are not in normal times.

You are now in the system and have the option of paying future years as they become available to pay….and if it’s worth your while!! The NI payment for 2023 tax year will be available to pay around March or April next year and just pay that again in the same way. Expect a notification from HMRC. Repeat each year until you have an entitlement to the full UK a state pension.

Last edited:
Yes I can buy back 17 years up to 2023. Some years seem to have a slightly higher amount as well.
The differing amounts most likely reflect the fact that the cost of voluntary NI payments are increasing as time passes.

I have finally got my letter saying I can pay class 2. It says to quote your ni number. How do they know which year you are paying?
Does it say how long do you have to make the payment?

Based on what the site tells me I'm expecting my letter next Feb/Mar. Just wondering if I need to have the cash ready to go then, or if I have a few months.

Similar to you I should be able to pay around 17 years, but it's a fair whack of cash. Wouldn't mind a few extra months to save.

Does it say how long do you have to make the payment?

Based on what the site tells me I'm expecting my letter next Feb/Mar. Just wondering if I need to have the cash ready to go then, or if I have a few months.

Similar to you I should be able to pay around 17 years, but it's a fair whack of cash. Wouldn't mind a few extra months to save.
April 2025 for most years.

I first sent last Nov got letter to say class 3 s few months ago sent more information and finally they accepted class 2. Still trying to sort out hubby's.
Hi
I have confirmation of class 3. If you don't mind me asking what further information canI give to get class 2
Spider

Hi
I have confirmation of class 3. If you don't mind me asking what further information canI give to get class 2
Spider
I sent list of employers but also my prsi statement. Have bought back 3 years which I am waiting to register before I buy rest. I stated that I had worked until I left but was unsure of dates. It was 1989 so long time ago lol.

I sent list of employers but also my prsi statement. Have bought back 3 years which I am waiting to register before I buy rest. I stated that I had worked until I left but was unsure of dates. It was 1989 so long time ago lol.
Yes just done the same paperwork in my appeal. I have history in uk of 9 years SC60s ie self employed and 2 years PAYE just before leaving uk. I note a number of my self employed years are not full years ie nothing paid in NIs which I am appealing at present as completed self assessment every year in the 80s and 90s
Spider

Spoke to them on phone today after I received letter confirming that my application to pay Class 2 contributions for prior years had been accepted. They said any funds received would be allocated with first allocation going to earliest year available.

Can I ask how you sent payment to them.
My wife just got her letter confirming she can buy back last 17yrs at class 2.
She going to ring them next week to arrange payment and get a reference number to accompany the payment.
Still waiting on my letter. Both sent last April

Yes or go on website it tells you account to pay if outside UK. It will also tell you about the reference number which is your ni number followed by IC, your surname and initial if less than 18 characters. Please check the website to make sure. Wait about 2 weeks after sending money then ring and check they have it and tell them the years to allocate it to. It will then take 6 to 8 weeks to show on forecast.

Hubby got letter yesterday confirming class 2. On the letter it only lists the last 6 years. Presuming he can pay for 17 years when he phones?

Back