Making calls using Viber - Are they free?

You can..it looks like you're calling through Whatsapp but it's actually using your phone. A warning comes up but my friend didn't read it and called an Australian mobile

From their FAQ. "WhatsApp does not provide a "calling" feature. If you see a [ Call ] button within WhatsApp, it is the same as using the [Call] button on your phone. Thus, mobile provider calling rates apply for phone calls made using the [ Call ] button within WhatsApp."

My point was that my friend hadn't read that part, was used to making calls through Viber and assumed Whatsapp was the same. My post was to prevent someone else making the same mistake. Not everyone reads the FAQs when they download an app

Hi guys,
This is a member of the Viber R&D team.
I'm here to offer my assistance. :)

Viber is free between Viber users, doesn't matter where you live or what device you have.
Viber itself is totally free, meaning we (Viber) don't charge anything from you.
Since Viber uses the internet, both sides of the conversation must be connected to either WiFi or 3G. If a user is connected to WiFi - that user is not paying anything for sure. If the user is connected to 3G, the user *may* be paying his cell company for the data (about 0.3MB per minute of call), but that depends on the specific data plan that he has with his cellular company, and needs to be verified with them.

* Note that when a user is abroad using the cellular network (and not WiFi), there may be high Roaming charges by your cellular company for the data used.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us.
Thanks,
Viber Team

Hi
Just wanted to check if you will be in a position to tell how texts sent from viber outside data allowance will be charged.
Will any calls outside the allotted data allowance be charged as additional data usage charges. Any help would be great. I have an issue with O2.

THANKS

Hi
Just wanted to check if you will be in a position to tell how texts sent from viber outside data allowance will be charged.
Will any calls outside the allotted data allowance be charged as additional data usage charges. Any help would be great. I have an issue with O2.

You mean your provider's data allowance? Then it should be detailed in your contract with O2.

You mean your provider's data allowance? Then it should be detailed in your contract with O2.

Yeah I meant my O2 data allowance. There is nothing in the contract regarding that.

I know it is difficult for you to answer how my service provider would charge me for any viber texts that I have sent when I didn't have any data allowance.

The only confusing part is I have got charged for texting even though I had unused text allowance.

Yeah I meant my O2 data allowance. There is nothing in the contract regarding that.

I know it is difficult for you to answer how my service provider would charge me for any viber texts that I have sent when I didn't have any data allowance.

The only confusing part is I have got charged for texting even though I had unused text allowance.

Texting via services such as Viber isn't using SMS, so can't make use of text allowances. It's standard data usage, so the O2 plan you're on determines what the costs are.

Hi guys,
This is a member of the Viber R&D team.
I'm here to offer my assistance. :)

Viber is free between Viber users, doesn't matter where you live or what device you have.
Viber itself is totally free, meaning we (Viber) don't charge anything from you.
Since Viber uses the internet, both sides of the conversation must be connected to either WiFi or 3G. If a user is connected to WiFi - that user is not paying anything for sure. If the user is connected to 3G, the user *may* be paying his cell company for the data (about 0.3MB per minute of call), but that depends on the specific data plan that he has with his cellular company, and needs to be verified with them.

* Note that when a user is abroad using the cellular network (and not WiFi), there may be high Roaming charges by your cellular company for the data used.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us.
Thanks,
Viber Team

Hi,

Could you please explain how calling a landline number (or mobile number which doesn't have Viber) works? Would that type of call still be made using data?

Thanks! :)

It doesn't. It's a data application that needs internet access, either via your mobile operator or, preferably, via wifi. So basically it has to be used between smartphones running either Android, IoS or one of the other operating systes supported. You can't call an "ordinary" mobile phone or a landline as you can with Skype (for a fee).

More here.

Hello
I just contacted my provider (t-mobile) as I realized that my Viber calls were using my minutes instead of data. I have a $30 100 minutes and unlimited data (5GB in 4G) and unlimited text plan. Here is the answer from the t mobile agent:

"The use of Viber will deduct the minutes of your 100 minutes call, since this will not get through to the use of your data, Viber or any other third part applications sometimes or often deduct the minutes that you have, that's why we advise our customers to use Wi-Fi instead of using the Data on the phone when they are going to use Viber, or any other apps that requires calling."

It shouldn't use my minutes, but data instead. I really don't understand what happens, but anyway, be careful.

Hello
I just contacted my provider (t-mobile) as I realized that my Viber calls were using my minutes instead of data. I have a $30 100 minutes and unlimited data (5GB in 4G) and unlimited text plan. Here is the answer from the t mobile agent:

"The use of Viber will deduct the minutes of your 100 minutes call, since this will not get through to the use of your data, Viber or any other third part applications sometimes or often deduct the minutes that you have, that's why we advise our customers to use Wi-Fi instead of using the Data on the phone when they are going to use Viber, or any other apps that requires calling."

It shouldn't use my minutes, but data instead. I really don't understand what happens, but anyway, be careful.
Were they all viber to viber calls,that were deducted from your call plan minutes?

Back