Making calls using Viber - Are they free?

Passport1

Hi
I know that you can send text messages for free with the viber smartphone app

What about voice calls - are they free too when made using Viber app or is the cost taken from your monthly mobile package allowance ?

Thanks

They are free , it uses your data , so if you have sufficient data included in your plan there is no cost for the call ,if you don't have sufficient data included in your plan you could be charged for data usage.I use it all the time and find the system great .Other person should have Viber downloaded too.

Thanks for the reply and information - this is very interesting

Any idea how much data in terms of mb/gb making mobile to mobile and mobile/landline using Viber would use per minute ?

Thanks

You dont need to worry about how much data its using if you are connected to wifi at home or free wifi in certain locations it wont cost anything to make the phone call. You only need to worry about what a viber call will cost if you are using the data from your provider.

I use viber when im connected to my upc broadband doesnt cost a penny or use up my data from my phone package.

Get him to download it too so you call viber to viber. The quality of calls are ok most of the time. But sometimes, not often, they arent great.
Another word of caution. A pal of mine was able to download it but couldn't make or receive a call using Viber with her phone. She had some kind of Samsung Galaxy 'light', not a Galaxy S. Hopefully you and your son won't have that problem!

I used Viber for a while last year but it needs a good steady broadband connection (good upload, good download, good pings and no jitter or latency).

You dont need to worry about how much data its using if you are connected to wifi at home or free wifi in certain locations it wont cost anything to make the phone call. You only need to worry about what a viber call will cost if you are using the data from your provider.

I use viber when im connected to my upc broadband doesnt cost a penny or use up my data from my phone package.

+1. Viber, Whatsapp and Cabbage are "free" when using wifi at home or using the ever increasing amount of free wifi spots. Just make sure your phone settings are set up to connect via wifi and not over mobile network !

Can you use viber to make call to ireland from america

Viber to Viber, yes.

Edited to add that it only works with smartphones as far as I know. Just in case anyone thinks they can use it on a 'regular' mobile phone.

I used Viber for a while last year but it needs a good steady broadband connection (good upload, good download, good pings and no jitter or latency).
My experience too. What do use instead of it, aj, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi guys,
This is a member of the Viber R&D team.
I'm here to offer my assistance. :)

Viber is free between Viber users, doesn't matter where you live or what device you have.
Viber itself is totally free, meaning we (Viber) don't charge anything from you.
Since Viber uses the internet, both sides of the conversation must be connected to either WiFi or 3G. If a user is connected to WiFi - that user is not paying anything for sure. If the user is connected to 3G, the user *may* be paying his cell company for the data (about 0.3MB per minute of call), but that depends on the specific data plan that he has with his cellular company, and needs to be verified with them.

* Note that when a user is abroad using the cellular network (and not WiFi), there may be high Roaming charges by your cellular company for the data used.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us.
Thanks,
Viber Team

+1. Viber, Whatsapp and Cabbage are "free" when using wifi at home or using the ever increasing amount of free wifi spots. Just make sure your phone settings are set up to connect via wifi and not over mobile network !

Beware calls are not free on Whatsapp - messages are but unlike Viber, you pay for calls through Whatsapp. A friend got badly caught thinking it was the same.

Beware calls are not free on Whatsapp - messages are but unlike Viber, you pay for calls through Whatsapp. A friend got badly caught thinking it was the same.

Don't think you can make calls through Whatsapp? The Whatsapp website describes Whatsapp as: " WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Android and Nokia." No mention of calls !

You can..it looks like you're calling through Whatsapp but it's actually using your phone. A warning comes up but my friend didn't read it and called an Australian mobile

Back