Motor Making a thorough claim

Lobby

Had my car written off by a truck driver on Monday (he lost control on a bend and slammed into me, no injuries thankfully).

Seeing as I was totally innocent in this, I presume I can insist to be put back in a no-worse condition than I was in immediately before the accident? BMW 520d, manual, 2006.

Anyone any experience in making a claim (legally, my neck is fine!!!) ? For example:

I had integrated bluetooth, which is not in most of the second hand cars I see advertised.
My car was mine from new, so would have had 1 owner at resale time, obviously if I get a second hand one that'll now be at least 2 owners at resale time.
Tax disc had 6 months to go
3 days missed at work (self employed) - one on day of crash, one to source a car and one to collect the car
I'm not from Dublin, but will now more than likely end up with a D reg.
Time, hassle and annoyance

What other items should I be aware of (in anticipation that the figure offered won't cover a similar replacement car - at least without a fight)

In theory you are to be placed back in the position you were pre accident.

If you are not happy with the valuation you get from insurers, shop around locally to try to source a similar car and ask them to buy it for you.

In the current times, many insurers would be happy to do that, especially if they had some comfort in knowing that you were uninjured and were not going to make an injury claim.

You should also be compensated for any other losses. Even though self employed, you may have missed some appointment and made some loss.

Back