Making a job redundant??

Missie

My brother (like so many others) suspects that he may be made redundant soon.
His company is downsizing in a number of areas, and they have advertised a new job that is similar to his own but with extra responsibilities, that he has been invited to apply for. My bro is permanent with the company, but there is another employee with more qualifications, but less experience, on contract in a slightly different area, that has also been invited to apply.
He is going to do his best at the interview and try to convince them he can do the new job with training, but he thinks that it is predetermined an that they are trying to get rid of him.
THis doesn't sound right to me - his job isn't actually being made redundant, just incorporated into another area. Can they do this??

Thanks

This is quite common at the moment, companies downsizing are merging job roles. Its just happened at our work, a valued member of staff has been let go as her job has been take up by another.

I have no doubt that it is going on all over the place, but it legal for them to make someone redundant if their job still exists?

I have no doubt that it is going on all over the place, but it legal for them to make someone redundant if their job still exists?

Its debatable the legal side but the role will change so the "old" role does not exist any more as it will now have additional responsibilities. Its just happened where I work :-(

Thanks FutureProof and Krissovo for your replies - not what I wanted to hear, but what I suspected. It just sounds so unfair, but life is so unfair for a lot of people at the moment.

M
x

Back