maintenance paid into childs bank acc

kim

Hi

I know of a situation where a woman was/is claiming for one parent family but not declaring any money she was getting from the father of the child even though he was paying her in cash for years, the father then decided he wanted proof he was paying his share in case things ever got difficult(they were never together as a couple) and set up a bank acc for the child in the childs name and is paying in a sum of maintenance weekly which the mother can access when she wants. Would social welfare be aware of this? and would she get in trouble if they were to become aware of it? the child is 13 now.

Social Welfare will not be aware of this. If it is the case that the father claims back tax which he is entitled to - then things might come out.

If the Social Welfare find out that the father has been giving maintainence then they will take a deducation from her social welfare. It will also be up to the social welfare if they decide on whether they want to back-date it or not.

I don't think child maintenance has to be declared in terms of
the father claims back tax

I thought this was only the case for maintenance paid to an "ex wife" which is not applicable in this case.

One Parent Family Tax Credit is due where the child spends a portion of the year living with the parent claiming it (both parents can claim if child lives partly with each). It does not depend in any way on maintenance being paid to the other parent.

If the mother is not making Social Protection aware of her means then she is committing fraud and could be in very serious trouble if Social Protection become aware of it.

Sybil

One Parent Family Tax Credit is due where the child spends a portion of the year living with the parent claiming it (both parents can claim if child lives partly with each). It does not depend in any way on maintenance being paid to the other parent.

If the mother is not making Social Protection aware of her means then she is committing fraud and could be in very serious trouble if Social Protection become aware of it.

Sybil
sorry for butting in but im just wondering about this when i seen this..

My Husband & i are married with our own kids but he pays €200 a month maintaince to a teenager who lives with her mother whos now married too..
can my Husband claim this tax credit? or is he out because he is now married

sorry for butting in but im just wondering about this when i seen this..

My Husband & i are married with our own kids but he pays €200 a month maintaince to a teenager who lives with her mother whos now married too..
can my Husband claim this tax credit? or is he out because he is now married

As far as i am aware you cant claim it as it is now claiming married credit(cant claim both)

In regard to teenager mother, is he paying her anything legally enforced by court, if he is he could get maintenace deduction in tax return for share paid for mother but not share paid for teenager.

More than likely not paying anything to mother as she is now married as well

yes,Husbands teenage Daughter lives with her mam & she is now married & his maintaince is set by a court order & goes by s/o into her account every week.

afaik the money was all for the child though the court order & nothing was awarded personaly to the mam as she failed to tell my Husband that the child exsisted till she was 7 years old(she moved countries for a while).so judge just awarded the maintainence to the child..

Thanks for the reply,i must look into it for him but as you say it would only be for mothers share.
Thanks again

Hi Helen,

Maintenance payable on foot of a court order to a former spouse is tax deductible for the payer and taxed by the payee. It sounds like your husband was never married to his child's mother so there is no way that maintance paid to her could be deductible.

One parent family credit is claimable only be a person who has their child living with them part of the year (ie staying over for at least one night) and who is not living with a person "as husband and wife", ie cohabiting or married. Your husband would not qualify.

Sybil

Back