Maintenance adjustment for inflation

Mamamia22

Say a separated couple agreed on a maintenance of 600 pcm in 2017. How much should it increase by per annum ? Is it according to the consumer price index ? I assume it’s compounded. Thanks in advance.

I think it is permitted to adjust as per CPI. Separated in 2017. Kids all still under 18 so plenty of expenditure
2018-1.9%
2019-2.3%
2020-0.7%
2021- 7%
Do those rates look right and it’s compounded ?

Do those rates look right and it’s compounded ?
This is what I get from the CSO here:

YearAll items CPI, Annual Average Percentage Change in Consumer Price Index (%)
2020-0.3

2022 will be much higher of course but the annual 2022 number won't be official until the December 2022 numbers are released in mid-January 2023.

But you should really tell us what your separation order says on this topic, if anything.

But you should really tell us what your separation order says on this topic, if anything.
€600 is a lot, especially f there is more than one child. Unless this is covered in the separation order or the other parent has a very high income then I can't see much of an increase being given.

600 is NOT a lot per calendar month. Ex is on ~ 70k. Groceries, utilities, fuel, clothing, shoes, hobbies, mobile phones etc. separation order says in line with inflation AFAIK. It’s not me I’m asking for a friend. Solicitor has now provided % as per my second post above. The difference between them both is not much anyway given that % is so low. The visual.cso link is also useful. Thank you.

separation order says in line with inflation AFAIK.
I have no idea what standard wording is regarding the timing of the increase and the relevant reference period.

But my guess is that it is done annually and in arrears. 2022 inflation is going to be high (forecast 8%) but I suspect that your friend won't be able to use this until CPI data for all 12 months of the year are available in January 2023.

Solicitor has now provided % as per my second post above.
If the solicitor is providing those figures I'd be worried as they are completely wrong.

600 is NOT a lot per calendar month. Ex is on ~ 70k. Groceries, utilities, fuel, clothing, shoes, hobbies, mobile phones etc. separation order says in line with inflation AFAIK. It’s not me I’m asking for a friend. Solicitor has now provided % as per my second post above. The difference between them both is not much anyway given that % is so low. The visual.cso link is also useful. Thank you.
It very much depends on the circumstances of the two parents. If they are both providing a home for the child, if they both buy things for the child etc, but it's on the upper end of what is awarded. €150 a week from a take home pay of €900 is a fair amount if someone is also paying rent/a mortgage, utilities etc. The income of the parent receiving the payment is of course also a major factor. Anyway, it's off topic.

I'm assuming it's for one child... which seems like a lot...
If there's a nest of them then that's a different matter.
Yes, if it's for one child only that is a lot. My partner gets €600 a month for twins from her ex.

Back