Maintanance Agreement

T

torres09

I have been paying maintanance to my ex wife for a few years now.At the start i paid her by cheque but for the last few years i gave her cash.Recently she has been investigated by the dept. of social welfare and her payment stoped.Probably due to the fact she has not declared the money i have been paying to her for our child.We have a maintance agreement from the courts which has never been broken or contested.
Does anyone know if she would have a case should she choose to lie to them that i have never supported our child ?
I would be grateful for your advise.

i believe she has told the social welfare who are investigating her at the moment that i do not support my child.
Should they approach me and i inform them of our maintanance agreement through the court,will she be prosecuted for a false claim?
i believe child maintanance payment comes into consideration when a social welfare claim is being made?

i would think that because you have a court order to pay and she has never reported you to the powers that be, that you missed a payment, then i would hazard a guess that they wouldnt entertain her!?

surely if anything she would be in big trouble, if she claims you dont support your child when there is a court order, it would mean you being brought to court....would she go to all that trouble??

I would reccommend setting up a direct debit immediatley! she cant deny anything that way!

i would voice your concerns to your solicitor just in case.
And i would also just ask your ex wife if she intends on going down that road?

what a horrible mess to be in! :(

i believe she has told the social welfare who are investigating her at the moment that i do not support my child.
Should they approach me and i inform them of our maintanance agreement through the court,will she be prosecuted for a false claim?
i believe child maintanance payment comes into consideration when a social welfare claim is being made?

SW normally write to the father of the child so you will have a chance to refute her allegations of non-payment. Absent fathers are expected to pay maintenance and a claimant of OFP ios expected to make efforts toi obtain maintenance. Certainly, they will take a dim view of false statements, etcc. but whether she will be prosecuted for it or not is another matter, dependent on the investigating officer and deciding officer's views. They will also have to consider what would happen the child if she was sent to prison, obviously.

Last edited:
Back