Maestro and Cirrus.

Alex

i was just wondering why is it that some banks do the maestro facility and others the cirrus facility instead? why can't the banks use both? i banked with boi about 8 years ago and had a 5 in one card for atm, cirrus, cheque guarantee, laser and maestro transactions. i now bank with ub and have a 4 in 1 card for atm, cirrus, cheque guarantee and laser transactions. i see that nib also do a 4 in 1 card without cirrus. nib use maestro instead. i wish ub would do a 5 in 1 card. are there any plans to make all these banks do the 5 in 1 card? it would be great as i travel a lot and could do with maestro. using a cash back feature abroad would be great. i left boi as ub were offering transaction free banking at the time.

Alex.

But aren't Cirrus and Maestro two different things? Cirrus is the equivalent of your ATM card and Maestro the equivalent of your Laser? Mastercard and Visa essentially do the same thing but Cirrus and Maestro don't.

Janet said:
But aren't Cirrus and Maestro two different things? Cirrus is the equivalent of your ATM card and Maestro the equivalent of your Laser?
Are you sure about that? I have Cirrus on my PTSB ATM/Laser card if that means anything? Never use it though.

Maestro is both ATM & debit card. Cirrus is ATM only. Both are Mastercard products.

[broken link removed]

Janet, you are correct.

Cirrus is the name of the international network of ATMs. If your ATM card has a Cirrus facility, then you can use it abroard to withdraw cash from ATM machines.

Maestro is the brand name of an international system of using a debit card to buy goods/services from shops. The brand name used in Ireland for our domestic system is Laser.

So your standard ATM card may have a Cirrus capability, plus it may also be a Laser debit card, plus it may also have the Maestro international debit card facility.

If you really need the Maestro facility, why not get a Maestro Card from the US? Any country can apply.

Mimi

i did and it didn't work right. they are far too complicated also. i would prefer one issued in my own country.

Alex.

Back