Madrid short break

Rudolph

Have booked flights for a family trip to Madrid in February. Looking for any recommendations about accomodation (2 adults & 2 children (15 & 12), hotel or self catering) and things to do, places to visit etc.

Thanks

Rudolph, loads of hotels around the city centre. look up the usual sites. rooms.com, venere.com, ratestogo etc. i was there last march, its pretty cold at that time of yr. Hope u have spanish as the locals dont speak english execpt around the tourist areas which is not where you want to be eating. none of the places we ate had menus in english and we had to rely on pigeon spanish and pointing...good craic when u point at something on the menu and see whats comes out. If into football go see real madrid play. they sell tickets there but i would get them well before match time. i would not recommend the place we stayed as it was very pokey.

i think the taxi from the airport was reasonable but we got the train out there on the way back for some reason which was ok as long as u are not carrying loads of baggage.
shopping in madrid is not that good, not as good as barcelona but i enjoyed it just make sure u bring warm clothes

I'm heading to Madrid in Feb too, i booked a hotel called Hotel Regina, theres a metro stop across the way from it. I booked it through Its costing me €80 per night room only for a double room. It didnt fare too badly on tripadvisor either.

If your children are ok with it, the Prado, the Reina Sofia & the Thyssen Art galleries are wonderful.

Picasso's Guernica is on show - along with a lot of his other stuff.

The Royal Palace would give Versailles a run for it's money anyday.

It's a beautiful city, enjoy.

For kids that age I reckon the city will be perfect for a few days. However a day trip to the Warner Bro's Theme park just outside Madrid is great fun. If possible go on a weekday and there is hardly any que's. This is a real theme park with lots of attractions and great rides and less emphasis spent on parade's etc for younger kids. There is a DART style train line that will bring you to the door from Madrids main stations.

Enjoy

Back