Madrid Hotel recommendations?

frunzy

Hi All,
Heading to Madrid in March for a short break. In process of trying to book centrally located hotel. I've googled a few places and have come up with the usual load of hotel reservation companies trying to get you to book through them. I picked a hotel and have 3 different prices from 3 different companies for the same dates & hotel! Is there any particular site thats cheaper/better than the next. My head is wrecked looking at them but I don't want to get ripped off unecessarily. Another option is to contact the hotel directly. What you think?

We were in Madrid for New Year. Stayed in the Sofitel in Plaza Espana, very central, five minutes from the Metro and walking distance to the city centre. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the top floor with a Terrace, which would be nice if the weather was warmer! If you relly want to splash out - The Ritz (near Prado Museum) is really nice, but even if you don't, pop in there for a drink at least.

P.S. I booked hotel through Sofitel on their website, it was €400 for the three nights, but I did book it about 6 months ago.

Hi Frunzy,
I've been to Madrid twice, last trip just at start of December. Both times I stayed in the 4-star Intur Palacio San Martin which is about as central as you can get in Madrid. It's in a quiet square just off Puerto Sol and is right next to the main shopping streets. Hotel is beautiful.
Hotels own website is [broken link removed] but I would recommend using a hotel booking site.

Both times we booked through . This website is for bookings within 21 days of travel and we paid Eur110 per night.
If you want to book more that 21 days in advance, there is a link to another site but you will pay a higher price here. My advice would be to wait and try to get the hotel within the 21 days. I did both times.
I just did a search now as follows using a weekend at end of Jan.
City: Madrid
Check-in 26th Jan
Check-out 28th Jan
Tick only 4-star hotels & Available hotels only.

Hotel appeared on page 2 of the search results.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

JT

thanks jt will try it now, will let you know what i book. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Aren't people very good really!

Sure it's great to be able to help. And what goes around, comes around! I hope you get the hotel. It really is in a superb location. It's also only a few minutes walk to Plaza Mayor and about a 10 minute walk to the Prado and the Royal Palace.

Best of luck,
JT.

My neighbour just got back from Madrid tonight, she stayed in the centre and the hotel was €100 a room per night. She said it was really nice. I'll get the name from her tomorrow and post it to you.

Folks.....

On the Madrid topic...I've been looking for somewhere for a quick 1/2 night break with Mrs d2 that's on the Aer Lingus cheap flight list and that we haven't been to before......What's Madrid like for a short stay ?

Thanks,

r2d2

Hi r2d2,
Madrid is a fantastic city. I used to prefer Barcelona, but after having been to Madrid a couple of time I've changed my mind. If you are looking for a great central hotel, see my recommendation above. It's got all the culture, shopping and nightlife that you could ask for. If you like late nights, then this place does not stop until the sun comes up!. Eating out is also very reasonable and you can get good wine for a tenner in the restaurants.

jt

Hi r2d2,
Madrid is a fantastic city. I used to prefer Barcelona, but after having been to Madrid a couple of time I've changed my mind. If you are looking for a great central hotel, see my recommendation above. It's got all the culture, shopping and nightlife that you could ask for. If you like late nights, then this place does not stop until the sun comes up!. Eating out is also very reasonable and you can get good wine for a tenner in the restaurants.

jt

Sounds great.....Going to book the flights now, thanks !

Hi r2d2,

jt

jt, that hotel you mentioned looks ideal.....€115 on their own website sounds good to me. Any of the other find a hotel type sites are coming in more expensive and Venere.com (the one i usually use) seems to have been down all day....As I'm bringing Mrs d2, I'd like to book a restaurant in advance for a nice meal....Any particular suggestions ?

Thanks again,

r2d2

There was me thinking tha Dublin was deer & Madrid was cheap. Surely 115 for a hotel is not cheap. I believe in parts of france you can get a hotel toom fo 40 off season. thats cheap.

Hi r2d2,
Glad you like the hotel. Here's a great guide to Madrid and has many recommendations for restaurants. You might find something here.
http://www.maribelsguides.com/

2 Restaurants that I've eaten in and would recommend are

Los Galayos
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/madrid/D3469.html

and Sobrino de Botin
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/madrid/D3471.html

These are only a few minutes walk from the hotel. Also, just along the same street as Sobrino de Botin there are some great bars, very old and traditional, and some have traditional spanish music and singing. They also do great tapas for lunch!

Hope this helps, and Mrs d2 approves!

jt.

There was me thinking tha Dublin was deer & Madrid was cheap. Surely 115 for a hotel is not cheap. I believe in parts of france you can get a hotel toom fo 40 off season. thats cheap.

"Sounds good to me " was the phrase I used, not cheap....This is a European capital city, it's a 4 Star hotel and two of us are staying...Dublin is indeed dear, particularly if you buy Venison :p

Hi r2d2,
Glad you like the hotel. Here's a great guide to Madrid and has many recommendations for restaurants. You might find something here.
http://www.maribelsguides.com/

2 Restaurants that I've eaten in and would recommend are

Los Galayos
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/madrid/D3469.html

and Sobrino de Botin
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/madrid/D3471.html

These are only a few minutes walk from the hotel. Also, just along the same street as Sobrino de Botin there are some great bars, very old and traditional, and some have traditional spanish music and singing. They also do great tapas for lunch!

Hope this helps, and Mrs d2 approves!

jt.

Very much appreciated jt

Vincci Centrum is the name of the hotel.
Just looking at booking hotel in central Madrid for Oct next. Vincci Centrum is quoting 447.26 for three nights. Is it really worth that? Any other recommendations appreciated. Want something central so realise you pay for that but 447.26 seems a bit over the top. On the other hand I dont get away too much (ahhhhh :( ) and maybe that is the going rate for city hotels.

Back