Madeira Island:a suitable holiday destination for elderly? hilly?

woodpecker

Would anybody know if Madeira would be a suitable holiday destination for
seniors.Is it very hilly?

Re: Madeira Island

Was in Madeira about 4 years ago and enjoyed a very relaxing holiday. Funchal was lovely and we had a great bustour of the city. There wasn't a huge amount of nightlife which suited us well enough at the time and it was quiet enough for seniors to enjoy....no rowdies. It IS hilly though which might prove problematic for those with walking difficulties. Do take a tour of Blandy's where they manufacture 'Madeira'. I think it was a briliant tour but my memories of that particular day are not too clear lol.

Yes, it is quite hilly, however much of Funchal is relatively easy to walk around and more or less on the flat, Good place if you want a quite break, weather is warm, but not overly so, it lacks the package holiday rowdies and drunks, which is always a good thing and has some good reastaurants. As it is so small, if you want to go anywhere outside of Funchal, a taxi is relatively cheap

Sorry to hijack - any more info/feedback on Madeira as a destination?

We're not 'seniors', but do like a quiet holiday as long as there are plenty of restaurants.

Does anyone reckon Madeira would be suitable for laid back thirtysomethings?

Went there on my honeymoon 3 years ago when I was 36. Loved it and would go back again. It doesn't have a lot of cultural type things or big name museums so recommend getting a v good hotel, with a pool, taking a few books and relax and take it easy. Some gorgeous gardens if you are into that and you can take some good day trips inland as well

I was there last December staying in Funchal. It is a lovely place and yes it is very hilly. There seems to be a constant smell of burning rubber in the air from the brakes of the local buses as they climb the hills. From the sea inland for about 300 yds it is very flat but then begins to rise quite steeply. There are taxis everywhere and the local buses are very good. When we were there the Christmas decorations were really beautiful. Have a look at www.madeira-seekers.com and www.strawberryworld.com for tours etc.

Well that didn't last long! I see that Aer Lingus have pulled this destination less than a year after it was announced. Looking at the latest Aer Lingus prices it's no wonder that their planes are flying half empty. Maybe if they lowered their prices......

Back