Mad drivers.

I was once smashed into by a car from behind, so I would suggest that it is worth keeping an eye on whats going on behind you as well, there's a rearview mirrior there for a reason.
Also, if a driver cannot distinguish between an indicator and hazard lights, then they should book themselves in for an eye test before they cause an accident.
Flashing your hazards will make someone take notice that something is wrong and slow down.

I was once smashed into by a car from behind, so I would suggest that it is worth keeping an eye on whats going on behind you as well, there's a rearview mirrior there for a reason.
Also, if a driver cannot distinguish between an indicator and hazard lights, then they should book themselves in for an eye test before they cause an accident.
Flashing your hazards will make someone take notice that something is wrong and slow down.

I can honestly say, in 20 years of driving, Ive never personally confused the two, nor heard any anecdotal stories of it happening to anyone, or read about it in any newspaper or media source.

The rules in Galway are as follows:

Hazard/Warning lights to say thank you (or I am changing a puncture)

Fog Light to say to car behind you are blinding me with those full beams

Left Indicator on for 3 seconds followed by Right Indicator on for 3 seconds followed by nothing = I have no idea where I am so back away because I am liable to do anything

Handbrake up slowly while moving (i.e. no brake lights) to say to the car behind that he/she is too close and almost crashed into you. If he does hit you, look astonished and ask for insurance details.

All lights off on dark night for 1-2 seconds = to say to all drivers that you are a loon and to be careful, expect the unexpected

Full Beams on for oncoming traffic = you waited too long before dipping your lights, its payback

Flash of Full Beams during daylight = How's it going me oul flower or horsebox (or Gardai up ahead chief)

And never ever use indicators anywhere near roundabouts - always keep your options open...

I can honestly say, in 20 years of driving, Ive never personally confused the two, nor heard any anecdotal stories of it happening to anyone, or read about it in any newspaper or media source.

I have many times. Someone parks and sticks on their hazard lights, thinking it as an excuse to park badly. Someone else parks behind them and slightly to the left and all I can see is one side's flashing indicators. Thinking they are pulling out, I slow to allow them to move out and realise as I get closer there is nobody in the driver's seat.

If you have never come upon this in twenty years you are either a very infrequent or else a very poor sighted driver.

Left Indicator on for 3 seconds followed by Right Indicator on for 3 seconds followed by nothing = I have no idea where I am so back away because I am liable to do anything

Handbrake up slowly while moving (i.e. no brake lights) to say to the car behind that he/she is too close and almost crashed into you. If he does hit you, look astonished and ask for insurance details.

All lights off on dark night for 1-2 seconds = to say to all drivers that you are a loon and to be careful, expect the unexpected

Full Beams on for oncoming traffic = you waited too long before dipping your lights, its payback

Flash of Full Beams during daylight = How's it going me oul flower or horsebox (or Gardai up ahead chief)

And never ever use indicators anywhere near roundabouts - always keep your options open...
Post of the year, for me. :D

I was driving down the lane of the M50 this morning leading to the West exit when a driver tore up behind me and must have had to brake at the last minute to avoid ramming my car (which was going at a perfectly normal speed). I got an awful fright and put on my hazard light for a second to warn him to back off a bit. He went into a miming rant, waving his arms around and when he got an opportunity to overtake me was glaring at me and pointing his finger at his head (as in 'you're nuts').

What is wrong with drivers like this? Why is it perfectly okay for them to drive like a lunatic, but totally out of order for anyone to object to their behaviour?

I've been following this thread and I think this is sensible use of the hazard lights given the situation.

Brilliant Birroc! I'm glad I don't live in Galway! :D

Back