Mad drivers.

liaconn

I was driving down the lane of the M50 this morning leading to the West exit when a driver tore up behind me and must have had to brake at the last minute to avoid ramming my car (which was going at a perfectly normal speed). I got an awful fright and put on my hazard light for a second to warn him to back off a bit. He went into a miming rant, waving his arms around and when he got an opportunity to overtake me was glaring at me and pointing his finger at his head (as in 'you're nuts').

What is wrong with drivers like this? Why is it perfectly okay for them to drive like a lunatic, but totally out of order for anyone to object to their behaviour?

Looking for sane behaviour from a lunatic is always going to be a bit of a stretch. i think some people just lose the run of themselves at times, and rationality goes out the window.

I know, but I do it now and again if a driver is right up my a*se and making it difficult for me to drive properly. Its better than braking suddenly as some people do, or getting aggressive with them.

I dont think there is any provision in legislation or the rules of road for use of hazard lights in this way.

Still a basic & wise self-preservation measure, both with tailgaters and when its necessary to stop or pause on the road, eg when a vehicle ahead is turning right.

I know, but I do it now and again if a driver is right up my a*se and making it difficult for me to drive properly. Its better than braking suddenly as some people do, or getting aggressive with them.

I do it too, makes them stop and think 'something must be wrong', yeah, something is wrong alright - your driving!!!

You do get terrible nutjobs on the road alright. Its bizarre how being behind the wheel affects people.

I got done for speeding a few months ago, and am now particularly careful on the stretch in question. Last week I was doing exactly the speed limit on it with a Dublin Bus up my behind, flashing his headlights in through my back windscreen and trying to bully me to go faster. We came level with each other where I was taking a turn at lights and the driver shook his fist at me? What was that all about? I wasnt gonna speed and risk another ticket because he was behind schedule!

Putting on your hazard lights for a non hazardous situation is on the same level as the above. As a driver you have to be prepared for all and every possible sitiation, not have an equally crazy response at the ready when you are unhappy with how another driver is driving.

Putting on your hazard lights for a non hazardous situation is on the same level as the above. As a driver you have to be prepared for all and every possible sitiation, not have an equally crazy response at the ready when you are unhappy with how another driver is driving.

How can aggressive driving causing others to not properly concentrate on the road not be viewed as hazardous?

Were you overtaking someone? If you drive in the leftmost lane you will not have such an issue. If you are overtaking someone you should be using your indicators to do so and should not use your hazard warning lights as they will cancel out indication of your manoeuvre.

The common denominator in all of the aforementioned cases is bullying by some drivers. All you got to do is ring the Garda Traffic lines and once you get the registration number of the bully the Gardai (although not prosecuting there and then) can record the person and vehicle for future observation. The bullying on you does not count but it alerts the Gardaí as to the type of driver to look out for. It works.

All you got to do is ring the Garda Traffic lines and once you get the registration number of the bully the Gardai (although not prosecuting there and then) can record the person and vehicle for future observation.

Last time I reported a driver for dangerous driving I did so in a station, the Guard was more concerned that his order of chicken sezchuan be taken correctly and wrote down the details I gave him on a scrap of paper and then said there was nothing he could do because it was going to be my word against someone elses.

Are you for real.?? How exactly am I supposed to be prepared for someone driving up my tail? What is crazy about flashing my hazard lights to warn someone theyre too close?

No I was driving in front of him in the correct lane for taking the west exit.

Sorry, reply to terrontress. Still gob smacked at gillarossas reply.

If saomeone is driving too close to the rear of my car, I switch on my rear foglights. This tends to make people back off without risking them ramming the back of the car, as could be the case if I tapped my brakes.

I got done for speeding a few months ago, and am now particularly careful on the stretch in question. Last week I was doing exactly the speed limit on it with a Dublin Bus up my behind, flashing his headlights in through my back windscreen and trying to bully me to go faster. We came level with each other where I was taking a turn at lights and the driver shook his fist at me? What was that all about? I wasnt gonna speed and risk another ticket because he was behind schedule!

well, your obviously not a Judge, work for rte, are a politician or are a well known sports personality !!!!
[broken link removed]

Last time I reported a driver for dangerous driving I did so in a station, the Guard was more concerned that his order of chicken sezchuan be taken correctly and wrote down the details I gave him on a scrap of paper and then said there was nothing he could do because it was going to be my word against someone elses.
Isn't pretty much every court case a case of one person's word against someone else's?

Isn't pretty much every court case a case of one person's word against someone else's?

I think he meant that there were no witnesses or evidence, cctv etc.. literally just me saying 'He did a dangerous thing' and the other driver saying 'No I didnt'.

But I did think they would take note of the reg plate. They didnt.

I think he meant that there were no witnesses or evidence, cctv etc.. literally just me saying 'He did a dangerous thing' and the other driver saying 'No I didnt'.

But I did think they would take note of the reg plate. They didnt.

There is a witness - you! I'm not getting at you of course, I'm getting at him. He took the easy way out. I've had some success using the Garda Trafficwatch phone line. You log the issue initially with their call centre staff, and then it gets transferred (by fax - hello 1983!) to the relevant station. I get the impression that there is a bit of pressure somewhere to follow up on the logged issues.

Back