M50 toll: the 14 day rule.

tilly1

I went through the M50 toll there 2 weeks ago 4 times.

Dont ask why, but long story, and I had to turn around home to get something... anyway I paid my toll that night and thought nothing of it until I went down to my mothers yesterday and there were letters there for me from EFlow!

I had only paid for 2 tolls instead of the four.. honest mistake, I always pay my tolls on time.

I went to ring up today and they want €95! The letter is dated 27th May, and today being the 10th, I thought that this was within the 14 day period before the fine kicked in? But he keeps saying it's the 15th day because you count the day of the letter. Im not paying the €95 for a €3 toll, it was an honest mistake.

What do any of you think about the "14 day period"?a nd has anyone not paid this toll before and what has happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: M50 tol!!!

Phew, reading this just reminded me to pay an outstanding fine :D.

A few months ago I had to pay €45 before for one pass through, dunno what happens if you contest it....

Glad to have helped!! but does anyone know anything about his 14 day period?? if the letter was dated 27th may and today is the 10th of june, isnt this 14 days?? and within the time frame, therefor, no fine??

Can I take it that you do not live on a permanent basis with your mother but that the car is registered at her address. If that is the case that is where the problem lies. If you had the car registered to where you normally reside or even have your post forwarded to you you would have been able to deal with the letter within the 14 day period.
Legally afaik the day of posting is included. If you got it at the weekend why did you wait until today to deal with it?
Pay it and use it as a hard and expensive lesson learned.

i only got it yesterday, thats why im only deling with it today.. ive just had a baby, and although i know this is not an excuse, my headspace is a bit all over the place.. I simply cannot afford to pay the €94 fine.. what i want to know is has anyone not paid a fine before and what has happened.. I still think im within my 14 days but, i suppose they can say what they want...

My OH had the same problem - his car is registered to his work. I had actually paid the fine online but had not kept receipt number and it had not come out of my CC so could not prove it. The person I spoke to told me that if I set up an account the fine would be waived and we would only have to pay the original toll value - is this an option for you?

Well, i just thought id let you all know, for future reference, after kicking up a stink about it been the 14th day and asking them to prove where it says the first date is counted as a day, they gave in and wavered the fine!! IM DELIGHTED WITH MESELF!! i wont ever gforget in future!!

Back