Lying to recruitment agency about current salary

If you lied about your salary I believe you would lie now to prove your point.

bankrupt said:
Don't much like your snide manner I must say, is that rhetorical too?

I don't much like the fact that you would encourage other posters to lie. If you feel that's snide, well too bad.

I was just asked for my salary expectations so I told them a figure which happened to be €5K more than I was earning at the time. I got a job which offered me €8K more, so the outcome was positive, however I didn't have to tell any untruths.

What is the nature of your relationship with the agency? Do you have a contract with them? What does the contract say in matters of full and truthfull disclosure?

If they are working for you then I class this in the same category as telling lies to your solicitor, accountant and estate agent or any other professional acting on your behalf.

If on the other hand the aggent is working for potential employers I would class this as the same category as telling lies to the police, the revenue or any number of legitimate authorities.

I was just asked for my salary expectations so I told them a figure which happened to be €5K more than I was earning at the time. I got a job which offered me €8K more, so the outcome was positive, however I didn't have to tell any untruths.

Yes-I have to say that in my recent experience I wasn't asked what I was earning, rather what my expectations were (to which of course you can say what you like!)

If you lied about your salary I believe you would lie now to prove your point.

Good reasoning there CCOVICH, I'll bet you have also told lies in the past, therefore you cannot now be trusted. I'll leave the reader to decide how rational that stance is.

I don't much like the fact that you would encourage other posters to lie. If you feel that's snide, well too bad.

Where did I encourage anyone to lie? The OP asked a simple question, I provided a simple answer. Apology please.

If on the other hand the aggent is working for potential employers I would class this as the same category as telling lies to the police.

Hardly the same thing IMO. While a lie is a lie is a lie.....not all lies are equal....:rolleyes:

How's the ride on that high horse of yours?

I couldn't care less whether or not the OP lies about their current salary, it worked well for me but it may not for the OP. As another poster pointed out, it's all part of the negotiation game.

Hardly the same thing IMO. While a lie is a lie is a lie.....not all lies are equal....:rolleyes:

Fair enough sheena1,

I suppose there is a continium ranging from swearing on oath right down to the tooth fairy! Plenty of grey scales there for everyone.

Rather than lying about the level of your current salary, you could just say that your contract with your current employer precludes you from discussing your current salary with third parties. This is often the truth as such clauses are AFAIK quite common in work contracts.

Then, as other posters have suggested, just move on to what your salary expectations for the new job are.

It doesnt really matter what you are currently on - what matters is what you are looking for...............if you say you are looking for X then that is what the recruitment agency is going to be using as a basis for seeing if certain jobs suit you. There is no need to discuss your current salary at all really.
But beware - if your potential employer asks what your salary expectations are, don't give a bracket...... €xx to €yx.......they will usually offer you the lower end of the bracket (understandably!). Made this mistake myself - think i could have gotten more.............will have to give it socks at salary review time!

I agree. I also worked in recruitment. Iv seen CV's claiming the owner had a first degree in History when infact he left school at 16. He went on to earn huge wages.

my pupils wouldn't even dilate when lying to a recruitment agency. they are mostly hustlers who are your best friend when its seems you are a suitable candidate for a job. its more to do with what they can make out of you rather than a career progression for you. they were probably estate agents or solicitors in a past life.

your not commiting a crime if they agree to pay you.
Show me a nice person and i'll show you a crap negotiator.

I agree. I also worked in recruitment. Iv seen CV's claiming the owner had a first degree in History when infact he left school at 16. He went on to earn huge wages.

My friend did this to work in Bank of Ireland. I found out afterwards she used my degree results on her CV. Worst of it was, her friend worked in HR in BoI at the time. They've both since left, luckily for them, before they were found out. Lying seems to ok for some people.

As a recruiter when I checked references (including one from the current role) I would ask the referee the current salary of the applicant.....

Tis a game and one has to be smart!

I have to say if a recruiter went to my current employer seeking a reference without my authorization I would be quite annoyed with the recruiter. If the recruiter did have my permission and my employer gave them information on my salary I would be even more annoyed!

At the end of the day, recruitment agencies make their percentage based on your annual salary or daily rate so its in their interest to get the highest value package for you. Good recruitment agencies/recruiters provide a service as much for applicants as for their direct customers so people shouldn't be nervous about 'managing' them.

Back