Lucan vs. Swords

E

eek

Hi Everyone

In process of selling apt to upgrade to 3/4 bed family home, have seen some nice houses on myhome but having trouble agreeing on locations! Were looking for somewhere aorund the blanch area at the mo as we currently live near blanch village and really like it - we also like clonsilla but after this we have no idea what mulhuddart, huntstown, coolmine etc are like.

We have also seen some nice houses in swords and lucan that comfortably fit within our price range but I dont fancy swords and he doesnt fancy lucan and neither of us know the pros and cons of either area to argue it out!!!

Firstly is there anywhere in blanchardstown that you wouldnt live and also does anyone have opinions on lucan and swords good bad or indifferent regarding traffic to town facilities like schools etc?

If anyone knows any nice estates within any of these areas that would be great also! (dont ask much do I!!!!)

all opinions welcome thanks a mill :)

Re: lucan v's swords

As I live in Lucan I can tell you this...

Good estates are general in St. Marys Parish part of Lucan...

Pros:
1: Prices are lower than most other areas in Dublin for good 3 and 4 bed houses
2: Most estates in St Marys Parish are well established, family oriented, quite and well kept e.g. (Castle Riada, Esker, Elmbrook)
3: Very very little anti social stuff going on, nothing actually in my estate for 2.5 years since I have been there
4: Good location near M50, N4, and new link road to N7
5: Prices will continue to increase as they are below market level compared to other parts of Dublin (I think anyways!)
6: Luas planned for Lucan (way off in 2012!)
7: Some nice big parks for walking, GYM in Liffey Valley etc

Cons:
1: Traffic on N4 to the M50 round about is backed up every morning. It takes me 60mins to drive from Lucan to Baggot St in the mornings which isnt too bad for a 8 mile journey into city centre. Once you get past the M50 roundabout it is ok.
2: A lot of houses in Lucan
3: No one knows what impact Adamstown will have either positive (e.g. more facilities, train station) or negative (more traffic)
4: Some estates in Lucan e.g. Liffey Valley Park are mostly rented out and you can tell this quite easily as the estates are generally messy..
5: I think there is a waiting list for the better schools in St Marys parish

Lived in Lucan for the past 6 years (Johnsbridge) and like it very much. Check us out on: [broken link removed]
Pros:
1 Everything SteelBlue05 says except substitute Esker Parish for St Marys.
2 Lucan Sarsfields GAA club - excellent for kids right up to creaky old fellas like meself.
3 Lucan Harriers running club.
4 Esker Celtic/Glen Oakes/Lucan United football clubs.
5 The NightLink always full of happy,smiley,chip eating, wake you up when it's your stop, easygoing people.
6 Superquinn - a lovely shopping experience. Tesco/Dunnes/Lidl and Aldi close by.
7 Nice restaurants/pubs in the village and only a short taxi ride to Liexlip/Celbridge where more can be found.
8 Apart from traffic it seems to be a very laid-back, easy going subburb.

Cons
1 I leave the house at 7.15am, in work at Stephens Green at 7.55am.
If i ws to leave the house at 8am the journey would take about an hour.
The journey home at 5pm takes just under an hour.
I think this would be typical for an 8 mile trip.
2 Apart from the village the rest has a concrete jungle look about it.

In a nutshell not trying to offend anyone both nice areas good shopping and facilities etc. but in a nutshell the commute is a nightmare because of traffic at M50, personally think somewhere on the otherside of m50 for the same price /type of house with same conveniances eg lucan or maybe finglas?

You've had two views on Lucan so I'll give you some pointers on Swords.

Transport: M1, M50, Port Tunnel, Dublin Bus. DART, Suburban rail, Airport all very close by, cica 40 mins by car to city centre at 07.20. Metro planned.

Recreation: A stones throw away from the sandy beaches, Malahide Castle, Donabate, The estuary for watersports. GAA clubs, Soccer Clubs, Jackie Skellys and ALSAA. Great pubs and resturants.

Living: Great Shopping - Airside, Pavillions, Swords Main Street, Dunnes, Superquinn, Pennys, JC. Hotels.

Have you a particular area of the town in mind when it comes to housing?

ADK said:
In a nutshell not trying to offend anyone both nice areas good shopping and facilities etc. but in a nutshell the commute is a nightmare because of traffic at M50, personally think somewhere on the otherside of m50 for the same price /type of house with same conveniances eg lucan or maybe finglas?

Rubbish. Why presume the commute has to be by trasport which uses the road and therefore would be affected by the m50.

Commuting from the general area of Swords to the city centre each day by car I can tell you the m50 has very little direct and even smaller indirect impact on my journey.

Bluetonic said:
Rubbish. Why presume the commute has to be by trasport which uses the road .

Do you fly to work?

pardon my ignorance abt swords i stand corrected

jonnyhotspur said:
1 Everything SteelBlue05 says except substitute Esker Parish for St Marys.

Yes correct, Esker Parish I meant

Hi,

I lived in swords for 2 years til recently so in my view:

Pros: Near the sea, handy for the airport, Pavillions shopping centre, Swords is a pretty village, near malahide and portmarnock in the summer. Extremely painful drive on the M50 if you work anywhere beyond the toll (or indeed pretty close before it. Jackie Skelly have a big gym in Applewood with a pool. Train access is not *that* far, Donabate, Malahide stations within driving distance.

Cons: I lived in Applewood (Thornleigh), north Swords and it was a real sprawl. Personally speaking, i thought the house and estate could have been better quality given the going price but that is a personal opinion and it's Dublin, i guess. Also this part of Swords has a very high rental population from what i can see. In terms of public transport, the bus can get very full quickly and the 41 goes throught the airport which can be a pain. Pubs in Swords village were not great (only my opinion), very few decent, local style pubs apart from The Cock. Rest i felt were either too loud or a bit skangery. Also Swords village can be a bit nosiy and packed at pub closing time at weekends.

Hi, have been living in Mount Symon Estate in Clonsilla for five months now. Train station is ten minute walk away and train to Connolly takes half hour. 3/4 to an hour by car to town via Chapelizod in the morning. Grand for N4 via Lican. Nightmare to get to M50 in the morning. House prices in region of €380,000 for 4 bed and the houses are nice. Estate is ok, quiet enough. Heard from previous tenants that there were some break ins though.

Huntstown and some parts of Clonsilla/Blanchardstown are dumps in my opinion.

With respect to Swords versus Lucan. It's quite simple Swords is on the Northside and Lucan is South of the Liffey!

Lucan has everything! Floodlit Running track, hockey, soccer GAA pitches, a couple of Gyms, parks, skateboard parks, Liffey Valley Park, Griffeen Park. Fishing/canoeing an Liffey and canal. Golf and PitchnPutt courses,an airport, superquinn shoppingcentre, Library,close to Liffey valley, Great little village, plenty of pubs and restaurants in the area.

If anybody can tell me an area where ther is less traffic congestion in Dublin I'd like to know.

SteelBlue05 said:
Yes correct, Esker Parish I meant
SteelBlue05 - I think you have managed to confuse yourself and me also.

I take it you live in St Marys Parish - Nice parish with church in the village and school places available.
I live in Esker Parish -Nice Parish with Church at Superquinn ( to those unfamilar with the area- no I don't pray at Fergal Quinns alter) and school places available.
The other parish is South Lucan - nice parish with church at Foxdene but their schools are full to the brim with chisslers.

I learned all this over the last month from estate agents in my quest for a 4 bed house.

Lucan Traffic

I have often pondered the effect of opening up(rush hour) the Bus Lane- from where the Chapellizod underpass meets the N4 as far as the M50.

In my experience this is where the most congestion occurs at evening time. The buses cannot move anyway because of the congestion caused by cars trying to merge.

Also buses don't use the Bus Lanes unless necessary as they are too narrow.

Disclaimer- I do not have the wherewithal or vision of Owen Keegan et al

jonnyhotspur said:
SteelBlue05 - I think you have managed to confuse yourself and me also.

I take it you live in St Marys Parish - Nice parish with church in the village and school places available.
I live in Esker Parish -Nice Parish with Church at Superquinn ( to those unfamilar with the area- no I don't pray at Fergal Quinns alter) and school places available.
The other parish is South Lucan - nice parish but their schools are full to the brim with chisslers.

I learned all this over the last month from estate agents in my quest for a 4 bed house.

I have confused myself, I though they were one and the same. Sorry!

Re: Lucan v's Swords

My Parish, church and school info does have a Roman Catholic bias. I have no idea to the situation regarding other religions in Lucan.

Re: Lucan v's Swords

very good summary from SteelBlue05 & jonnyhotspur

Lucan is directly west of Dublin making it as easy to go North than South of Dublin..so you can get a job in Sandyford and Clonshaugh, it is the same commuting time.

Back