Lucan V Tallaght

Jim Davis

I was looking at houses in Lucan for around €300K - €350K in lovely estates and fine houses. However, I notice that there are houses in Tallaght going for the same price that are not nearly as nice as Lucan.

I'm curious to know why the price similarity if the houses in Lucan are much nicer and the area has a better reputation?

good question...depends where in talla really- kilnamanagh and kingswood are nice areas...also luas as mentioned...in general i think i'd prefer tallaght to lucan on balance (not west tallaght)

Tallaght has an undeserved reputation because of a couple of areas, which I doubt you are looking at. It is a most unfair assumption. Clondalkin gets a similar bad press. Lucan has no such vast corporation/county council areas and that is why the reputation is not so bad. There are nice and not so nice parts of Lucan too.

There was a 3 bed terrace house in Tallaght on Daft last week (probably still there).. in Cushlawn, for 130K. Also a terraced 2 bed house in Inchicore for 150K, that's a bargain but beside the point...

Tallaght is a lot closer to Dublin isn't it?

oh right.. didn't realise.. what's the public transport like?

Any plans for a Luas.. (maybe a Louie the 5th, he he)

Any way to get home after a night out in Dublin city center?, any Nitelinks?

If so it sounds good alright...

Yes, the nitelink goes to Lucan.. [broken link removed]

I'd go for Lucan. I think they're equally bad transport wise. Tallaght has the luas but it takes an eternity to get to town on it.

I agree with others that Tallaght has some nice areas that get a bad reputation from neighbouring estates. Problem with Tallaght though is that everyone uses the same transport system and the few trouble makers do hangaround the shopping areas so you can't avoid them even if you live in a nice part. I considered buying there and after a few redline luas trips I decided I couldn't hack it - too much anti-social behaviour on that line for my liking.

I don't know Lucan but in terms of Tallaght, the Luas operators have had to put security on the Luas Red Line due to anti social behaviour, Tallaght shpping centre is a dump and there are large parts of Tallaght that are either industrial estates or purely awful. Yes there are nice parts but to me, as a whole, the bad far outweighs the good

[broken link removed]

In relation to driving from Tallaght:
I drive from Kilnamangh to Dublin 4 - and in the summer it takes me less than 30 mins to get into work, and in winter up to 45 mins.

The attached link gives some opinions on Traffic in Lucan.

We bought our house a couple of years ago, and we had looked for an area closer to Greenhills/Templeouge - which is 5 mins drive away from where i currently am.. but prices at the time prevented us.. However, I wouldn't move now, love our home, great road and neighbours... and we've not had any issues at all... very mature estate.

I've only used the Luas the odd time going into town on a night out / home and my experieces to date have been fine.

Don't use the bus service much either... The Dunnes in Kilanamanagh is v. handy!

The discussion in that link dates back to 2005. Quite a lot of changes to the roads since then i.e. N4 upgrade to 3 lanes, M50 roundabout upgrade, new bus lanes etc

I can't see that happening for a good few years yet. I think originally set for 2013 but it won't happen now.

I'd go for Lucan. I think they're equally bad transport wise. Tallaght has the luas but it takes an eternity to get to town on it.

I agree with others that Tallaght has some nice areas that get a bad reputation from neighbouring estates. Problem with Tallaght though is that everyone uses the same transport system and the few trouble makers do hangaround the shopping areas so you can't avoid them even if you live in a nice part. I considered buying there and after a few redline luas trips I decided I couldn't hack it - too much anti-social behaviour on that line for my liking.

Luas takes about 40-45 mins from Square to Abbey Street, so not exactly an eternity. Also I often park at Square and get luas into City and my observations regarding junkies and general scumbags is that the vast majority tend to embark/disembark in the Rialto/fatima area and the City Centre itslef.

I don't know Lucan but in terms of Tallaght, the Luas operators have had to put security on the Luas Red Line due to anti social behaviour,

Most of this trouble on the Luas comes from the area around Dublin 8. Nothing to do with Tallaght.

There is a house up the road from the folks for sale at the mo in kilnamanagh 9 tamarisk grove it is the close to the luas handy for town 5 mins from the cuckoos nest handy for the busses. traffic is grand since the downturn started. Cul de sac and over looks a big green. Would buy it meself if I could raise the dough.

Lucan village is grand the lucan south of the N4 foxborough etc. wouldn't be my cup o tea, public transport and traffic.

Back