Lucan Dublin or whereabouts?

Nice little estate. Originally filled with a lot of first time buyers, now there seems to be a lot of rented properties with little care for the house appearance. IMO its starting to look very tired.

I looked at moy glas when I was buying. The houses themselves are lovely internally, quite spacious and I loved the kitchen layout. The estate now has quite a number of renters though, it is quite obvious when you go for a look around it. I just wonder what it would be like in a few years. Also parts of the estate are a bit like a maze with roads jutting out from everywhere and no footpaths. The only place I would consider buying is a house facing one of the large green areas.
My advice to you though is to opt for one of the more mature estates in Lucan. This is what I did, I chose a house that needed work in a settled estate in Lucan and it was definitely the right decision. We have great neighbours and really happy where we are. The only people who should buy now are those who plan on staying in the same house longterm and in that regard location is always the most important factor. Best of luck!

Nice little estate. Originally filled with a lot of first time buyers, now there seems to be a lot of rented properties with little care for the house appearance. IMO its starting to look very tired.

Agree. Also feel the same applies to a fair few estates in Lucan, particularly in the newer parts.

Agree. Also feel the same applies to a fair few estates in Lucan, particularly in the newer parts.

However, on the flip side, I think it is fair to mention that a lot of estates have residents committees who organise themselves and keep the estates clean. A tree fell down in our estate recently during a storm, it was cleaned up and taken away within 48 hours. It was one of a series of measures taken by the residents committee. There are estates in Lucan where the residents take pride in keeping their estate tidy.

However, on the flip side, I think it is fair to mention that a lot of estates have residents committees who organise themselves and keep the estates clean. A tree fell down in our estate recently during a storm, it was cleaned up and taken away within 48 hours. It was one of a series of measures taken by the residents committee. There are estates in Lucan where the residents take pride in keeping their estate tidy.

very true.

I agree. The residents association in my estate is excellent and the place (entrance, green etc) always looks immaculate. We often have big tidy up days and bbq's during the summer and parties at Christmas. People really take pride in the place and no matter where you live this can be a rarity nowadays.
Lucan is a big place. People seem to forget about the really nice estates and only speak of the bad ones. There are people on here who are always negative about Lucan and never give a balanced view. I think that as soon as you drive into an estate, be it in Lucan or anywhere else, you can get a feel for the place and the type of people living there, thats the best way to base your decision.

Yeah Lucan is big, although I dont get the negative revewis. I lived there for 4 years and found it great. The one main thing that stood out was it felt quite safe relevant to other places in Dublin I had stayed before. There are always people out running and walking in the evening etc. Never had any problems, bus service is good, not bad for driving into the city.

Yes will agree with this. Even where I used to live, (newer part of Lucan) my Estate had become very run down with rental properties. Was back visiting a friend there recently and the place looked much better. Many of the people who cared about the place and wanted to stay within the area had formed a residents committee, planted flowers, painted side walls, had a sports week, during the summer.

They had become fed up with the place looking run down and tackled it themselves. You could see a big difference and it looked great.

hi there. I recently bought a home in Fforster in Lucan. Its a very quiet estate 5 minutes walk from bus stop, shops and 3 primary schools. I am originally from the south side but have never regretted my decision. I have heard of no problems, break in ect in the estate. only downside is that very few houses in this estate seem to be on sale. Just google ffoster and see what comes up. If it helps we bought our 3 bed last sept and it cost 380,000 at the time. best of luck

regarding the Moyglas comments:

we have lived in Moyglas for 6 years and we have loved living there. We have also started a family there. The estate is very quiet and safe and the surrounding area is also very safe - we are 1 minute from bus stop and the 25x in the morning is just super. Lots of room when getting on in the morning. We are just beside the Park and playground which is great when you have a little one. Superquinn is just down the road and if you want to go swimming, there is a great pool in Stewards hospital. I could go on but there are so many great things in Lucan.

We have owner occupiers in the houses around us and we know our neighbours and if some of the house are rented, I know them to be long time renters and very nice and very proud of their house and the upkeep of that house. Every estate has its own fair share of issues but these can alwasy be worked through with the residents committee..

Lucan is ok, for what it is. Somewhere for average middle class to live, commute not bad in compared to living in Mullingar, average services, prices reasonable, like all things the more neighbours you have the less control you have over who they are.

You are comparing an 80km commute from Mullingar to dublin city centre with an 8km one from Lucan?

What is average middle class? Sounds very snobbish to me.

And how do you go about controlling who your neighbours are in any place?

Hi All,

i'm currently looking at houses in lucan,fforester and esker meadow look pretty good to me

do you know when these estates were built and who was the developer?

how are the houses from your experience,any problems with insulation,leaks etc?

many thanks

Hi All,

i'm currently looking at houses in lucan,fforester and esker meadow look pretty good to me

do you know when these estates were built and who was the developer?

how are the houses from your experience,any problems with insulation,leaks etc?

many thanks
Don't know about esker, but McCreavy (something like that) built FForester. Houses very well laid out and soundly built cira 99.

Back