Lucan Dublin or whereabouts?

Munzab

hi all

it seems this is the right place to ask questions about how to shape one's future....

Im looking to buy in this year, no huge rush at the minute.

AIB seems to be doing a 3.25% for 5 year interest rate for mortgages for FTB at the moment, at least until march and it seems interesting.

however it would seem that house prices have not come down nearly at all in the last year or so?

http://www.irishpropertywatch.com/s...ess=lucan&Beds=3&Type=House&Region=Co.+Dublin

Anyway

I currently work on St James Street Dublin 8 and the only places i will be working for the next 3-4 years will range from St James street dublin 8, st eds area lucan (near woodies), Tallaght hospital, and Naas general hospital.

However im looking for somewhere close to a bus route as well (i will be driving but will have someone living with me who needs to take the bus into city centre at least for the next year).

It would seem lucan is central to all those areas unless someone can recommend me somewhere closer/more accessible/easier.

Im currently looking on my own but will be getting married by next year so will be looking to start a family while being around the house im going to buy.

Budget is 300 - 350 K.

i think that would get me a good house in the current climate.

Ideally looking at those houses that are ready to move in, semi detached, space for 2 cars, 3 beds / 2-3 baths (one ensuite), good standard with not much work needed.

Ive seen a few interesting houses in lucan but im wondering amongst all those being sold (and there are a few!) which areas would be the best based on the above criterias? id be very grateful for any insight from all you users. ive searched lucan posts and have got some good info, but most would be pre-2008.

Thanks for the help!

i am living in lucan from last two years, its great area for a family and you have lify valley SC, pennyhill, 24 hours tesco etc very near, most of New lucan (Southside of N4) is good area other than Arthur Grifith park, St finians state, and some areas of Foxbourough, and with your budget of 300k-350k, you should be able to get good house in current market, There is expresss bus service(25x) in morning to city centre and in the afternoon from city centre, which should take less than 30 mins to Houstan station(near to St james hospital),

thanks some1gr8 for the info. ill avoid those few areas. where do u take the 25x bus and how frequent is it? are we talking ballyowen road?

have prices come down a lot?propertywatch doesnt seem to think so, but from someone living around there what would be the take?

what happened to the proposed luas thing?where would it have ended/gone through lucan?

have there been changes to bus schedules?

is the lucan sorting office still where it was?where exactly is that?

so curious, but want to get this spot on before committing and thanks for all the helpful advice

Hi,

I lived in the Esker Meadow estate in Lucan for a number of years, and would highly recomend it as a good estate to live in, plus its in the right parish i believe for the schools, which may be a factor in a few years for you. But overall quiet estate close to shops/pubs etc. Hope this helps.

thanks some1gr8 for the info. ill avoid those few areas. where do u take the 25x bus and how frequent is it? are we talking ballyowen road?

[broken link removed]

Some of the 25x's can be full as they reach the ballyowen road, but you'll usually get standing space.

have prices come down a lot?propertywatch doesnt seem to think so, but from someone living around there what would be the take?

Prices have indeed come down lots, you can now get 4bed houses for around the 350 mark whereas before you were looking at a minimum of 400+

what happened to the proposed luas thing?where would it have ended/gone through lucan?

The preferred route has been announced see here:
[broken link removed]
I would expect it will be put on the back burner until there is capital free to spend on it again.

have there been changes to bus schedules?
Some increased frequency at some times.

is the lucan sorting office still where it was?where exactly is that?

It is indeed Tandy's lane, it's on the village side of the N4 at the western end of the village area (towards the spa hotel)

As a life long Lucan resident I couldnt recommend it enough. Have seen houses in Finnstown estate within your budget. This is a fantastic location. It is beside bus stops, near enough to Adamstown train station, close to Superquinn and in the catchment area for good schools.

The 25x gets you into town quick enough and they are frequent and you could get the train to Naas from Adamstown but as the station is closer to Sallins it might be handier to drive as you would be going against the traffic anyway.

Good luck

thanks plenty of info.

griffeen glen has a couple of nice houses at a right place...

where is it situated really in terms of amenities?

finnstown doesnt have that many houses available unfortunately....

Hi Munzab, just food for thought, the estates with less houses for sale are generally the better ones...
Moved to lucan nearly 2 years ago now. Really like it, very handy location, great bus service etc. Looked at loads of houses/estates when buying, feel free to pm me any queries....

Areas i recommend is Finnstown, Grange Manor, JohnsBridge. 25x goes by these estates and you get a seat no problem on it. There are also houses for sale in these estates and in the right parish regarding schools etc.

Regarding whats around them, a nice park, superquinn down the road, Lord Lucan pub is 10 mins walk and nice italian restaurnat called Di Bella is ten mins away too!

had a drive through lucan yesterday looking at some ear marked properties.

Ive been having mixed feelings about it really so far but have identified a few places that members might help me struggle through a decision.

1. willsbrook - found 2 properties, they seem older than others but 4 beds i think. question is : are there amenities nearby within walking distance, what is the area like and what parish (For school) does it fall under?does it border any council estates and how is the area generally? its nice quiet and close to ballyowen road and the n4

2. Oldsbridge, Griffeen glen wood and Johnsbridge

3. Tullyhall Finnstown and Hansted would the last choices...

all the above choices, will have to compromise between walking distance from shopping (centras/spar), bus stops (to city centre and back from) and driving to the n4.

thanks for all the help... getting there soon!!!

Of the estates mentioned above if I were buying myself I would either go with willsbrook or Finnstown. Both are lovely estates and have plenty of ammenities nearby. Willsbrook is in St. Marys parish. I don't know what parish Finnstown is in, someone else on here might be able to help!

Finnstown is in Esker Parish as far as I know. The advantage to Willsbrook is that you are on the town side of Lucan - the longest part of the 25 journey can be from Superquinn to Woodies.

One adv to Finnstown though is that Superquinn, Dunnes etc is closer however I'm guessing that could lead to worse traffic in that area.

Think if it were me I'd go for Willbrook for the commuting convenience as you are closer to town, could walk to St Eds and you are also close to that new road that goes directly to the Naas road.

The disadvantage wiith Willsbrook is the size of the 4 beds, the noise from the n4 which is clearly heard in the back garden and all shops are a good walk away. Bus journy might be less but a good chance you could be standing on it. Parking can be a issue in Willsbrook.

Advantage of Finnstown is alll shops and pubs in walking distance, parish is good, bus stop is outside the estate and the 5.30 from merrion rd goes up by superquinn first so short juroney that way.

Johnsbridge is nice also.

willsbrook is a more mature estate hence houses need more work on them too.

Lived in TullyHall, its a nice area but a fiar walk even to the 25x, compare to the other estates you mentioned.

thanks a lot.

im going to be calling couple of estate agents tomorrow to arrange viewings soon.

1. Griffeen glen
2. Moy Glas
3. Oldbridge
4. Johnsbridge
5. Finnstown
6. The rest so far.

will see how things go, thanks!

I owuld check out Grange Manor also, a few houses in there for sale and they are big houses inside. Its across from Johnsbridge.

Have a look at Leixlip, particularly Glendale. Beside railway station, nice quiet area close to the canal and near shops etc. One for sale there at http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/157-Glendale-Meadows-Leixlip-Co-Kildare/347716/ , probably a few more of you look.

It should be possible to offer low on most of what's around; if you can decide on four or five that would suit you, make low offers on them all and see who jumps. The general consensus is that prices will fall a lot more, so don't think of paying the asking price on anything. A lot of sellers still have to get a reality check.

In fairness Lollix is all very easy saying dont pay the asking price. But if you see the house you love and the sellers wont accept anything but the asking price your kinda stuck. I do agree alot of sellers havent hit reality but alot of sellers have reduced their prices as low as they can go, and hence will not sell for anything lower.

But if you find a house, be sure to check how many times it has been decrease lately, if the price has been lowered 3 times or more I doubt they go very much under the asking price, if the seller hasnt reduce the price come in will an offer a good bit lower and see their response. Also ring a few estate agents in the area and ask them the value of houses in that area too.

In a market like this, it's worth being patient and waiting for the price to drop. As I said, if you want to profit from the downturn you need to have several houses lined up that you feel will suit you, don't just plump for one house. Pitch low, and wait. Even better, give them a deadline to get back to you by, and walk away if necessary.
The problem with paying the asking price in the current climate, even if it is reduced, is that you are still facing negative equity in a couple of months time. The other side of that coin is that sellers still have prices from the crazy times stuck in their heads, and it may take them a year more to face reality. Whatever you do, don't listen to the estate agent's advice, there are very few buyers around, and fewer still with money. It's called a buyers' market, with good reason.

In a market like this, it's worth being patient and waiting for the price to drop. As I said, if you want to profit from the downturn you need to have several houses lined up that you feel will suit you, don't just plump for one house. Pitch low, and wait. Even better, give them a deadline to get back to you by, and walk away if necessary.
The problem with paying the asking price in the current climate, even if it is reduced, is that you are still facing negative equity in a couple of months time. The other side of that coin is that sellers still have prices from the crazy times stuck in their heads, and it may take them a year more to face reality. Whatever you do, don't listen to the estate agent's advice, there are very few buyers around, and fewer still with money. It's called a buyers' market, with good reason.

Very good advice.

Back