Luas ticketing system

K

kathleen1973

Having used the Luas several times now (not a regular user but around once/twice a week) I think overall it's working brilliantly etc. But what is with the ticketing system?? There's only 4 machines at the Stephens Green terminal so it's packed at rush hour and even if you know how to get your ticket (which a lot of people still don't) it takes a good 20 seconds for it to actually issue. Doesn't sound like a long time - but it seems like forever when the Luas is there beside you and the doors are about to close!

prepaid

Yes, there needs to be more prepaid tickets, like a 10-journey ticket. About €6 in Madrid and Barcelona.

Or weekly tickets (wouldn't suit you).

Less cash tickets.

Yes exactly - if there were machines to validate your ticket, the 10-journey tickets would be perfect for me..... ah well...

Given that the frequency is every 5 minutes, it's not really a big deal if the doors close while you are queueing for your ticket.

and while we're at it....

Hi Gang,

Does anyone have an update on being able to buy an Luas annual ticket (deductable from income tax under the Travel Pass Scheme)?

Still, am getting good value off the 7 day ticket for €16!

Have to say, it's a brillo system though! I figure there must be 10 Luas running through the system at peak...

OpusnBill

5 minutes can be an eternity if its gonna make you late for work or miss a connecting bus/train.

I agree, I don't know why the ticket machines are so slow. The fact that it speaks to you so loudly aswell is a wreck the head for those standing around waiting. The ticket machines for the tube in london are simple and effective and you can have your ticket within 2 seconds if you're familiar with them.

How does it work with prepaid tickets - do you have to put them into the ticket machine to validate them? If so, wouldn't it be a better idea to have separate machines for validation so as to avoid queues?

That said, these are minor flaws and overall I agree that the Luas is excellent, though the I will be interested to see what impact the Tallaght line has on traffic as it comes into contact with it way more.

that's the problem - you don't validate your ticket once you get on the Luas! Sometimes an inspector will get on to check everyone's tickets (i certainly saw that during the first few weeks anyway) but often as not, you'd get away without buying a ticket at all.

I've seen inspectors on-board for more than half of my trips (most of which have been at off-peak times).

Hi kathleen1973,

"you don't validate your ticket once you get on the Luas!"

Yes, this is something they could and should bring in - By the way good point OhPinchy about the ticket machines.....(especially with the LOUD voice!) it should be easily fixable with prepaid tickets bought at shops (just have a greater variety available though)

"Sometimes an inspector will get on to check everyone's tickets (i certainly saw that during the first few weeks anyway) but often as not, you'd get away without buying a ticket at all. "

Ohhhh, wouldn't agree with that statement - I figure I get checked for tickets at least 75% of the time (admittedly during peak times but I did notie them out at weekends too...)

OpusnBill

The only time I took the Luas there were a significant number of people caught with insufficient fares. There were also a lot of people seen jumping off after one station and running to the ticket machine - this after seeing the inspectors. The thing is that those caught with insufficient fares were only admonished by the inspectors. Unfortunately another example of a rule (on the spot penalty for not having the correct fare) being introduced but not actually implemented. One man volunteered to get off at the next station and this really seemed to shock and stun the inspector - he wasn't asking him to get off.

Has anyone on the Luas seen or heard a passanger actually being fined ?

By the way, at 20 seconds per ticketing transaction you can in theory get 15 tickets issued per machine per departure at peak times. Allowing for 4 machines at St Stephens Green you can issue 60 tickets every 5 minutes. How many people can a Luas hold ? I know you can get season tickets but for those of us who don't take it every day there is no option but a cash fare. Built in delays. They should introduce an express ticket machine - push the button matching your destination, whack in the coinage and you get a ticket in 5 seconds.

The shop on the corner of St Stephens Green also issues tickets, but when in a hurry it is unlikely to be any advantage as there are normally queues there too. And I think they only do day and week tickets - not singles.

They should also re-introduce 10 journey tickets to all transport systems here, but it is too late for that now.

z

Bill,

"Does anyone have an update on being able to buy an Luas annual ticket (deductable from income tax under the Travel Pass Scheme)?"

Is this of any interest/help? [broken link removed]

I'm almost sure a friend told me recently that he has/is using one of these tickets at the moment.

I heard a guy from the Luas on the radio. They are working on a system wher you will have a smart card. You will validate your card as you get onto a public transport system and then validate it again at the end of your journey. So you can switch from bus to Luas to Dart in one go. It will then work out your fare and deduct it from the credit on the card. I don't know the timeframe though.

Nogser

It may be that actual usage has exceeded all expectations to the point where the current system can't cope. I heard Minnie Brennan say some time ago that a system of prior validation was on its way, but no sign yet.

Anyway, I think it's inreasonable to expect the Luas people to have covered all the angles adequately from the start. I think they should be commended for an absolutely cracking service that adds to many people's quality of life (mine anyway).

Re: ..

Spacer, I agree that they have done a good job on the infrastructure and that the Luas is a great benefit, but ticketing is a relatively integral element of the whole thing - they must (should ?) have considered what would happen when the system was operating at capacity - if there is some big attraction at Ranelagh for example can the station empty 2 full trams at the same time, is there enough room at St Stephens Green to take 2 full trams offloading within a few minutes of each other, can the ticket machines issue enough tickets to ensure that trams don't leave with empty seats while queues get longer.

I think it is entirely reasonable to expect them to have covered all angles. Otherwise we could have a multi-billion € project which can't deliver what it was supposed to be designed to deliver.

z

s;ightly off topic

anyone know when the Tallaght line opens? Have been right through the Luas website, but it just says 'after the summer'. It was supposed to open att the end of August......anyone know more precisely than Luas seems to know?

Bridget,

Checked the website myself and noticed how old their 'news' was. A friend who lives very close to the line had heard that they were to announce the date this week but just wonder now if their two derailments will upset their schedule.

the Barn

Instead of the end of August, it will be the end of Sept.

It needs 3 months trial running.

It will be great craic when it opens, totally more complex than the Sandyford line.

Thee Barn

Proto,

is that a reference to Dolphin's Barn? They'll probably be selling bits of track door to door soon. The ticket machines remain untouched - at the moment that is.
FACT: Some people have no respect for private or public property. They will destroy things for the fun. Luas will be an easy target, therefore it will be targeted.
I believe one of the screen on St. Stephen's Green was vandalised already, very public place. The Fatima stop is right in front of the Mansions, only a stones' throw away!

Rialto

Yes, that was a reference to Dolphin's Barn, as the Luas runs near a house I know between Rialto and the 'Barn

wing mirror

Yes, I had my wing mirror smashed by some of those "scumbags".

Mind you, I don't think it's too bad of a spot.

On the other hand, a Tallaght friend said that the Luas "would need big barricades as it passes through Rialto and the Fatima Mansions"

Back