LUAS - Is that it?

near your house

Not to mention how the close proximity to the line will push up your house price. Well done!
It's nice to see someone get capital appreciation due to infrastructural investment that isn't a farmer.
If anyone gives out about your good fortune, just smile at them.

traffic in Dublin

One solution put forward in the 1970s was to pave over the canals and make a dual carraigway instead. The Luas is MUCH better!

Am a little concerned about the proviso that cyclists should stay off the tram-only roads eg Upr Abbey St. Seeing I've been wrestling with Luas lines for the last year - and the amount of popholes and scattered gravel - I don't how why I shouldn't travel on those roads. Any cyclist who hasn't learnt to take the lines at 45 degree angle yet isn't a road cyclist! But in favour of Luas, we got my daughter's free reflective jacket for cyclists from the Luas yesterday - saved me €17.

Luas very busy this morning - anyone notice them?

Re: traffic in Dublin

I got my jacket yesterday as well. A bit disappointed that they mentioned Luas on the back, but it is free!

Coming from A'dam, the LUAS is a hopeless drop in the ocean. What I am concerned about is why after 20 years of CIE's failings to provide Park 'n Ride areas for DART stations, the RPA barrels ahead with the same concept.

Let's project fowards to a rainy October morning in 2004 at the Sandyford 'end of the stick'. All the northbound commuters (Foxrock, Galloping Green, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, you get the picture) are funnelling into the industrial estate. Not that the planning permission for the estate was brilliant either, what with two single-lane accesses from the N11. But did the morons at the RPA allocate, design, contemplate, or even recognise that the southern terminus has no parking? Now all the good commuters will forego the tram today and queue on the N11 into town. A couple more days like that and ridership will be in the toilet.

Luas jacket

Bridget and Maceface,

When did you order the jackets?

Re: Luas jacket

I think I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago.
There was a message on this site about it, and I reckon I would have sent away about 4 days after that.

Re: Luas jacket

But did the morons at the RPA allocate, design, contemplate, or even recognise that the southern terminus has no parking?

I cycle past this daily and all the available space between the terminus and the first stop coming from Sandyford has been laid out for parking.

Nogser

From Brennan's 'The Pocket Rocket' official website : The Pocket Rocket
Code:
 <snip>
which will serve commuters from Sandyford to St. Stephen’s Green. It will contain a wash plant, sanding plant, wheel turning lathe and workshop as well as a small control centre for the trams servicing this line. Park and Ride facilities for 90 cars will be available adjacent to the depot with additional spaces provided at the nearby Stillorgan stop.
Code:
 </snip>

And the LUAS site: Low tech Under planned Amateurish Streetcar

[broken link removed] = [broken link removed]

Regardless of what your eyes deceive you into believing, there has been no planning.

Re: Re: LUAS - Is that it?

Luas will be brilliant for those fortunate enough to live close to a line. Otherwise it will have little overall impact in terms of reducing traffic.

Also, I can't agree that it looks great. In fact the overhead power lines and supports are dog-ugly, angular, obtrusive eye-sores. I can only imagine what the environmentalistas would be saying if that infrastructure was mooted for, say, mobile telephony or ESB power distribution. Frank McDonald would get a month's worth of Irish Times articles out of it. But once it's for public transport, it's great. And if it takes road space away from the hated "private car", green canonisation beckons. Never mind the logic, feel the ideology.

As was perfectly obvious to the Victorians, rapid transit systems belong underground in city centres.

Re: Re: LUAS - Is that it?

I agree about the bad asthetics of the Luas lines and supports. They look dreadful and are swinging off protected structures, such as some of the old and beautiful buildings around Stephens Green. I really resent looking up at the stars through a mesh of ugly webs of steel cables.

Between the Luas and the dreadful development laws allowing blocks of apartments on every blade of grass or concrete patch they can find, they are tearing the guts out of our city and we're sitting back and letting them. Every election candidate that hits my door is going to get an earful.

looking up...

temptedd:

when was the last time you saw the stars from Dublin - even before the Luas?

We are one of the worst light polluters on the planet.

Unnecessary upward glare has been the subject of a big campaign by iguzzini.com, a light fitting manufacturer.

Re: looking up...

are tearing the guts out of our city and we're sitting back and letting them.

It's happening in all our cities. There's a very good series on Radio 1 on Sundays about this. Galway is another good example of bad planning (Apparently, I haven't seen it myself recently).

-Rd

I lives in Cork...but what does anyone who lives any distance away from the northside DART have to benefit them...nothing????
Aren't both LUAS lines on the Southside??? Bizarre....read some stuff for these guys and they seem to have good points.

In addition, Cork has been crying out for approval of the re-opening of the Midleton main line train line. Been waiting for decision for months and months, well over a year......strangely enough it looks like the decision is going to be positive and come out just a few weeks before the local elections...isn't that a stroke of luck now wouldn't you think.....

Re: ..

but what does anyone who lives any distance away from the northside DART have to benefit them...nothing????
The northside has the benifit of an arrow system (which is similar) which snakes into the likes of Drumcondra, Clonsilla and Blanch on its way out to leixlip/Maynooth. It also has the benifit of extending the dart to Malahide and Balbriggan on the way to Drogheda. Granted not ideal but still more than the Southside had.

The LUAS at peak times will have a tram every five minutes...how often are those Northside stations served by Arrow Trains...once an hour....once every 2 hours??

in my experience, the Northside also has a far superior road network, to easily facilitate the introduction of QBC's. Almost all of the radial routes on de NS are capable of carrying 4 lanes of traffic. This is not so on the southside, with the exception of Stillorgan N11 and Blackrock road. Anything west of these to Tallaght are small narrow roads, not capable of handling continuous bus lanes.

temptedd:
when was the last time you saw the stars from Dublin - even before the Luas?

Every clear night on my cul de sac in the centre of Dublin.

Back