LPT per property or per unit/flat

Revenue these days brief accountants on very little, least of all LPT. We of course can access the usual eBriefs, Tax & Duty Manuals etc as can everyone else.
Didn't know that. I'm also surprised if they made a policy change they didn't inform anybody officially. Not landlords, not accountants, not the financial accountants bodies etc.

My figures have now changed. So I've to pay for 2022. Someone is tinkering with my LPT and I see now that the local authority increase/decrease is applied. Plus interest as I'm late. I'm on time for 2023. It has taken a very long time to get a coherent answer. They were all over the shop in their advice to me.

They've forgotten to add one of the properties I sold.

Here's what it says on my account:

Current Status:​

• Review earlier years for any outstanding actions.
  • One or more of your properties have outstanding liability for previous periods. Click here to setup a payment.
  • You have not selected a LPT payment method for this year.
  • You have interest and penalties applied to this return.
  • You have actions outstanding in relation to your 2024 LPT record.
  • You have actions outstanding in relation to your 2023 LPT record.

Revenue must be spending an inordinate amount of time doing these calculations:

Local Authority2024 increase or decrease on Base Rate
Carlow County Council+5%
Cavan County Council+15%
Clare County Council+15%
Cork City Council+9%
Cork County Council+7.5%
Donegal County Council+15%
Dublin City Council-15%
Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council-15%
Fingal County Council-7.5%
Galway City Council0%
Galway County Council0%
Kerry County Council+10%
Kildare County Council+10%
Kilkenny County Council+15%
Laois County Council+10%
Leitrim County Council+15%
Limerick City & County Council+15%
Longford County Council+15%
Louth County Council0%
Mayo County Council+10%
Meath County Council0%
Monaghan County Council+15%
Offaly County Council+15%
Roscommon County Council+15%
Sligo County Council+15%
South Dublin County Council-15%
Tipperary County Council+10%
Waterford City & County Council+10%
Westmeath County Council0%
Wexford County Council+15%
Wicklow County Council+6%

If a single property is divided into 3 flats does it require an LPT per flat. It was clear for NPPR it was per 'unit'. So if you had a house and a granny flat, or if you had one house divided into 2 or 3 flats you paid per flat/unit.

This is a case of one legal title, one gas/water charge. It would have been one corporation rates, now one bin charge. Electricity is per flat. Was 3 NPPR's. And there are this year 3 BER's.

What is the legal/tax position on here. With a link if possible.

For historical context LPT is in existence since 2012.

A) What does market value mean?Market value refers to the value that the property could be sold for in an arm’s lengthtransaction on the open market on 1 May 2013. The definition in the Act refers to“chargeable value” as opposed to market value. However, in most cases they will bethe same thing (see part 1

B) Issues with specific types of propertyI have a granny flat adjoining my house – do I have to pay tax on this?The strict rule is that any self-contained dwelling if it is capable of independent sale,such as a separate granny flat, is treated as a separate residential property and willtherefore incur a separate LPT liability. However, Revenue guidance states that a liableperson will be given the option of valuing a granny flat as part of the overall buildingwhere the liable person in relation to both parts of the building is the same. However,where there is a different liable person in relation to the granny flat and the rest of thebuilding, the granny flat should be valued separately for LPT purposes. In most casesa granny flat will not be capable of independent sale and therefore will not be liable forLocal Property Tax (LPT
The key word here is "if it is capable of independent sale", i.e. if it could be sold separately from other units in the building. The suggestion here is that each unit *might* be liable, but that assumes that the home is a defacto pre 63 conversion and not one done post 1963 without planning.

First result in a Google search for "lpt unit flat".
Granny Flat

The details on that link have changed You are required to submit details of the layout of the property and its ownership to Revenue

‘Granny flats’ and bedsits

A part of a building that is in use, or that is suitable for use, as a dwelling, is generally treated as a separate residential property. For example, each self-contained apartment within a building is a separate residential property which incurs its own Local Property Tax (LPT) liability.

However, if you are the owner of a ‘granny flat’, you may value this as part of its adjoining property. This treatment only applies where you own the granny flat and the adjoining property. You are required to submit details of the layout of the property and its ownership to Revenue.

Where a building contains units that are not suitable for use as self-contained dwellings, such as bedsits, you should value the overall building for LPT.

For further information, please see Tax and Duty Manual Part 01-01.

Last edited:
First result in a Google search for "lpt unit flat".
That link has changed. In addition the attached pdf dated only last December has also been changed. I cannot figure out what has changed. But there is a document dated now October this year.

How are taxpayers supposed to keep up with the rules if Revenue keep changing their minds and issuing new documents. Surely it is beholden to Revenue to point out what they have changed. As this could be of grave financial significance to taxpayers.

Do Revenue not have a charter or code of practise that they must be fair to taxpayers and must inform us of their changing interpretation of the legislation. Because it seems to me Revenue are have been constantly changing their minds on LPT without informing anybody. People like Meathlady might be liable for tax years down the line and interest and penalties on top. And she will not be the only one. And in her case she received Revenue confirmation in writing that her initially way of valuing was correct (one unit not several units) But later when Revenue change the rules they never informed her. This must apply to a lot of people like her. Because it also applies to me. And to one of my siblings.

Last edited:
Back