LPT Overpayment

Sunny

Anyone any idea how I can claim back LPT that I overpaid? I was basically paying LPT on a property through payroll and I then decided to sell the property at short notice. To close the sale and get clearance cert on the advice of my solicitor, I manually paid the full year tax to be to show a zero balance (Revenue won't show zero balance until after year end with payroll). Therefore I basically paid 18 months tax. Can't see anything about claiming it back.

Did your solicitor not pro-rate the LPT with the house buyers solicitor before the sale closed? That's what happened in ours.

He did but you need to show a statement showing that it has been paid. When you pay through payroll, it is not possible to show what is outstanding as revenue will just show the full amount outstanding until after the final payment at the end of the year. They don't show a month by month balance. It was a quick sale so the advice was to pay the full amount online even though I had paid 6 months and get a zero balance statement the next day or spend a significant amount of time trying to get something from revenue. It is simply an over-payment. Should not be that difficult to organise a refund. Just can't see where. Or do they automatically do a year end balancing statement...

When you login to your account and click on the property there's a button to view payment history and then view transactions. Does that not show the charge and the regular DD's for each year?

There's no automatic way to apply for a refund, but they're handled manually. Just contact Revenue explaining how the overpayment arose through "MyEnquiries" or by post.
Local Property Tax Branch, Revenue Commissioners, PO Box 1, Limerick

Back