LPT: Inherited house, never had property, FTB Exemption ?

DirectDevil

Due to life circumstances my uncle always lived with my gran. Gran died recently. My uncle inherited her house. He never owned a property in his life. Could he be exempt from LPT like first-time buyers as this is his first property ?

Section 8, specifically uses the word "purchased", the relief is there to encourage people to purchase a house. As a gift is not a purchase I don't think the exemption would apply.

My husband has been willed the family home (where we live) by his mother who passed away a few months ago. It has been valued recently for inheritance tax purposes but wouldn't be in his name yet. My brother-in-law is executor of her will and she gave him a lifetime right to use part of the house if he wishes.

No LTP letter was received from Revenue, not sure why but might be because she was in a nursing home and was exempt from the household charge.

Who is liable for the LPT- my husband or my brother-in-law, as executor of her will?

"Who is liable for the LPT- my husband or my brother-in-law, as executor of her will? "

Probably the executor. Mind you, given that your husband is inheriting the house and depending on what other assets or debts are in the estate, does he not have a moral obligation to fess up as actual owner?

mf

My husband has been willed the family home (where we live) by his mother who passed away a few months ago. It has been valued recently for inheritance tax purposes but wouldn't be in his name yet. My brother-in-law is executor of her will and she gave him a lifetime right to use part of the house if he wishes.

No LTP letter was received from Revenue, not sure why but might be because she was in a nursing home and was exempt from the household charge.

Who is liable for the LPT- my husband or my brother-in-law, as executor of her will?

Will your brother-in-law take up his right to use part of the house?
I guess if he does, ye could come to some kind of split arrangement.
If he doesn't take up the right, surely your husband and you should feel morally obliged to pay the LPT as ye are going to inherit the property.
If as some suggest, that the executor is responsible for the payment of LPT, couldn't your BIL not just defer payment and the charge would come over onto your estate eventually?

Back