LPT for non-resident

Curly Wurly

Hi,

Next year my house in Ireland becomes liable for the LPT. I have received a letter from Revenue about this providing me with a property ID, PIN, etc.
When I log on to pay the tax, one question asks me to specify where I reside. I specify the country and then I am asked for my tax number in that country.
The thing is, the country where I reside does not issue tax numbers to residents, so I don't have one. I was going to enter 0000 (the universal answer when you want to give a numeric "n/a" answer.

Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Thanks,

The thing is, the country where I reside does not issue tax numbers to residents,
Does it not issue any kind of public service number at all?

I think what they want is whatever unique ID you have for dealing with the government (if such a thing exists).

Does it not issue any kind of public service number at all?

I think what they want is whatever unique ID you have for dealing with the government (if such a thing exists).
Revenue specifically requests a "tax number", which is not issued to UAE residents.
There is an ID through which you deal with the UAE government - it's called Emirates ID - but it relates to residence, not taxation or matters financial.

What would happen if you gave an Irish address and your PPSN?

Or give your foreign address and your PPSN?

Brendan

If there is no statutory basis obliging you to provide such a number, then surely it's entirety up to you as to whether or not you wish to provide them with it?

If they are trying to insist on it without a lawful basis, then they're breaching the GDPR.

Fair enough. It’s a mandatory field, hence wondering what to input. The PRSI number seems a good bet.

Back