LPT: Exemptions for 'ghost estates': Unfinished Housing Developments sec 10.3 of Act.

mobileme

The revenue guide contains a reference to exemption from LPT for those living in ghost estates on a list to be provided by the minister. No such list seems to be available on the site. No letter received from revenue yet. Is the ghost estate list available?

i am waiting for it myself,
the department of the environment is the one who will be releasing the details.

I presumed this is the same list of ghost estates that exempted people from the household charge?

I read at the time of the budget that the list would likely be the same as the household charge but have seen no mention of it since. I thought it would be confirmed by the time they sent letters out.

Also for household charge, homeowners had to claim the exemption and may not have actually realised if their estate was on the list, I wonder if it will be the same this time. Surely if an estate is eligible for exemption, revenue's letter should say that.

List is out now

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,32636,en.pdf

As predicted it's much shorter and many estates have disappeared from it. My understanding is that the criteria was changed and that only estates with some/all of these issues would be considered exempt

No public lighting
No water supply
No sewerage disposal
No footpaths
No roads finished up to at least a base layer level

List is out now

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,32636,en.pdf

As predicted it's much shorter and many estates have disappeared from it. My understanding is that the criteria was changed and that only estates with some/all of these issues would be considered exempt

I'm wondering why many rural properties have to pay the charge at all then?

TICK (Definitely not) - No public lighting
TICK (Owners pay for that themselves) - No water supply
TICK (Owners pay for that themselves) - No sewerage disposal
TICK (Are you kidding) - No footpaths
PART TICK (Ancient road simply covered with tar and dressing and full of potholes) - No roads finished up to at least a base layer level

This is a tax for a hopeless system run by hopeless politicians of which we could reduce by at least 50% for starters.

List is out now

My estate is on the list and it has all these things!:confused:

No public lighting
No water supply
No sewerage disposal
No footpaths
No roads finished up to at least a base layer level

Only a part of your estate may be exempt. Check out the column with the GPS co-ordinates on the far right of the page. Only houses inside a boundary line that follow the stated co-ordinates are exempt.

Only a part of your estate may be exempt. Check out the column with the GPS co-ordinates on the far right of the page. Only houses inside a boundary line that follow the stated co-ordinates are exempt.
There are no co-ordinates in the column for my estate.

Sorry to sound so ignorant but how do you convert the ITM coordinates to a precise location

Sorry to sound so ignorant but how do you convert the ITM coordinates to a precise location

I would expect that Revenue will have to publish a map showing the boundary co-ordinates.

If you really want to do it yourself, you could covert the co-ordinates to Lat/Long using the converter on the Ordnance Survey Website and plot the co-ordinates on Google Earth.

How do these list of Irish Transverse Mercator co-ordinates work.
e.g. an estate in Cavan has these listed:
642234, 807821/
642190, 807759/
642144, 807770/
642209, 807852/
642234, 807821.

Are these dots, which when joined make a polygon that defines the area containing the exempt houses?
Some of them list 15 or more co-ordinates.
Where can we find the precise location for what the co-ordinates refer to?

Edit: There's a converter of Irish Transverse Mercator co-ordinates at

Thanks.
By the way I find the batch co-ordinator useful at: [broken link removed]
Although you should ignore the line "Any lines with a first character ',' will be ignored by the conversion process."
All the lines need to start with a comma to indicate that you don't know the station name.

Back