LPT changes deferred for another year

Sarenco

Taxpayers will not have to face increased Local Property Tax bills for 2021 after the Finance Minister decided to defer the valuation date for the tax from November 2020 to November 2021.

Another huge mis-step.

This tax becomes harder to justify the further it gets untethered from the May 2013 values. Some houses go into disrepair, some get extensions, yet LPT values are frozen in time.

How us this not good news?! Do people want everyone to pay more tax,? Aren't people struggling enuf in the current world environment?

The moaning about the millionaires and the public sector (This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept) unreal

How us this not good news?! Do people want everyone to pay more tax,? Aren't people struggling enuf in the current world environment?

The moaning about the millionaires and the public sector (This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept) unreal
Sorry I was just being sarcastic in light of reference to 'multi-million euro homes' being brought up. Taxes are for everyone and not just for those who have more (keep the ships decanter in mind too). Anyway we'll be paying more next year as we live in DLRCoCo.

We are exempt since we purchased a second hand home in 2013....is my understanding correct that we are now continue to be exempt until next year?

I sold a house in 2013 and moved into a new house. The people that bought mine and myself are both exempt.
It was they told me about the exemption.

Sorry - you're right. My mistake.

Second hand homes purchased in 2013 (but not thereafter) can claim an exemption.

New homes purchased in 2013 or anytime thereafter are exempt.

Both exemptions will now continue to 2022.

Thanks. Nice saving for us! I wonder what the magnitude of the exemptions is? That seems like a lot of PPRs, all of 2013 sales plus any new homes since then.

Thanks. Nice saving for us! I wonder what the magnitude of the exemptions is? That seems like a lot of PPRs, all of 2013 sales plus any new homes since then.

Not really. 2013 sales were barely over 10k and since 2013 only 80k new builds not all of which will be PPRs. So maybe 4% of all houses in total.

Still it's an awful lot of tax to lose for what was a drafting error in the original legislation.

Back