Low Pitched Roof & Nordman Roofing

dk99

Hi

Planning on putting an extension out the rear of house but in order to maximise size and maintian head room the pitch is coming in at 13 degrees. Our architect has recommneded Nordman roof tiles and we seen them used in a very small extension he did but just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience.

Our main concern is the appearence but as the architect says we wont be sittimg out looking at the roof all the time ! Another issue is the noise. He said that they dampen the noise and it wont be any different to normal roof tiles

Also wondering how people overcame the issue of velux windows needing a minimum of 15 degrees.

Hi dk99, I have used the metal tiling on two small lean-to extentions and found it a delight to work with compared to concrete tiles, its faster to install and flash and you have a choice of colors to choose from. One word of warning though, buy from the manufacturer and not from a building supplies as thier mark up on the tiling seems to be about 50%.
the company I deal with is in clondalkin E.R.L ph 4138399
I have nothing to do with company apart from buying thier product.

kiwi

Hi,

We had an extension built last year roofed with Nordman tilesheets. The pitch was approx 13 degrees. Firstly on the appearance issue, if you have a relatively small garden (which we do) you really cant see the roof from the ground level as its (by its nature) at a low pitch. To my eyes they look fine but they won't weather like normal tiles. I would also judge them to be slightly nosier than normal tiles (I suppose you could try to double up on insulation but its really the rain hitting off it thats the issue so I dont know that it would dampen it down completely). We havent (toch wood) had any leaks yet but I imagine its down to the competence of the builder - he seemed to like using it, its quick and easier than normal roof tiles. On the velux window issue there are flat roof velux available - see www.velux.ie but they arent very attractive. They are on an upstand (you can see it on the site) and not very attractive. Regular ones were used on our extension, flashing detail was beefed up, builder is assuming responsibility (lives down the road so he's not running away). Once you're not too exposed I think you should get away with a few degrees (again depending on the competency of the builder). Hope this helps,

Jack

Jack

many thanks for your input. Seen the Velux flat roof solution and agree that they dont look the best from the outside - was told something similar in that they could beef up the flasing and again because its not totally flat we should be ok albeit not covered by the warrenty.

Tnx again
D

Hi,hi

We had an extension built last year roofed with Nordman tilesheets. The pitch was approx 13 degrees. Firstly on the appearance issue, if you have a relatively small garden (which we do) you really cant see the roof from the ground level as its (by its nature) at a low pitch. To my eyes they look fine but they won't weather like normal tiles. I would also judge them to be slightly nosier than normal tiles (I suppose you could try to double up on insulation but its really the rain hitting off it thats the issue so I dont know that it would dampen it down completely). We havent (toch wood) had any leaks yet but I imagine its down to the competence of the builder - he seemed to like using it, its quick and easier than normal roof tiles. On the velux window issue there are flat roof velux available - see www.velux.ie but they arent very attractive. They are on an upstand (you can see it on the site) and not very attractive. Regular ones were used on our extension, flashing detail was beefed up, builder is assuming responsibility (lives down the road so he's not running away). Once you're not too exposed I think you should get away with a few degrees (again depending on the competency of the builder). Hope this helps,

Jack

hi i have to fit a velux at 13 degrees could you please give me any imformation about how you beefed up the flashing around the window ,i was advised to lift the window up at the back but personally feel as if a well fitted flashing kit at slightlty the wrong pitch will be better any help would be greatly appriated

Jack

many thanks for your input. Seen the Velux flat roof solution and agree that they dont look the best from the outside - was told something similar in that they could beef up the flasing and again because its not totally flat we should be ok albeit not covered by the warrenty.

Tnx again
D

hi i have to fit a velux at 13 degrees could you give me any imformation as to how you beefed up the flashing kit ,i have been advised to lift the top of the window to 15 degrees but personally feel that the standard flashing kit fitted well at slightly the wrong angle would work better any help would be appricated si

Has no one considered a low pitch / flat cut timber and steel roof with a fibreglass external membrane and a timber lantern light with an opening section?

There may be exempted development planning /design issues re eaves heights if this is abutting a pitched roof, but the internal quality of space is very fine.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Back