Low pay v Stay at home

5Times

I'm a married father of two, lost my job recently and now have been offered a very low paid job, which wouldnt cover all my outgoings. If I go on the social welfare I will be in a better situation (no travel exp etc) and have more family time. Working straight through my carear since I was 15, this is the first time I've needed assistance.

Theres a lot I need to do, like exams that I wont have the time to do doing this job.

Morally I think I should work the low paid job, but it would mean me and my family will struggle, huge mortage etc. if I'm off I can study and get my exams (self paced).. and will get a much better paid job in a couple of months.

My heart says stay off and work towards a better career but my head says take the job.

Similar dilemna here, ultimately I decided I had to do what is right for me and my family and decided to stay at home. Came down to finance at the end of the day. Some people might disagree but that's their choice!

You may be entitled to FIS if you work more than 19 hours per week as you have dependents. You can get details of the rates applicable to you on www.welfare.ie. Other than that its really your own decision regarding the other implications or taking or not taking the job when you weigh it up against your family life and education plans.

Thanks all.

I have another issue, I have another chance to do some holiday cover which would be two weeks here and there, but I would need to be self employed to do it. How can I stop my benefits for these periods and then start them again, is there a stamp I can pay that covers me during this time, would I be better as a soul trader.

If you get 2 weeks work, just sign off for those weeks. The PRSI contribution usually paid by self-employed persons (class S) does not cover you for jobseeker's benefit payments so you may need to think more about that.

Back