Loud Water Tank Filling in Attic

Leesider32

The water tank in the attic is very loud when it is filling but it seems to be mainly because the water from the pipe is flowing from a foot or so above the water level, is it ok to attach a further length of pipe so that the tank is filling from under the water level instead or am I asking for trouble? The ballcock wouldn't be touched.

I'm not a plumber but it sounds unadvisable. If you ever get a leak in the inlet pipe to the attic, even if you turn of the mains it will siphon all the water out of the tank back down to the leak point. Bad idea.

You can add the pipe to push the water below the main body of water as the pressure from the pipe will be strong. If you don't want to do that then add a pipe piece to direct the water against the wall of the tank and that will reduce the noise too.

Noise from a water tank in your attic comes with the territory. Leave well enough alone or you're risking some eventual water leak. You can however reduce the sound you're hearing by putting inexpensive styrofoam sheets around the water tank (underneath, sides and even on top).

Just a thought (might not be relevant):- If the water tank is filling too slowly, it may be that there are pebbles in the pipe supporting the ball-cock. Noise is generated as a result. If so, it's just a case of removing the ball-cock connection and letting the stones fall out. Before you attempt this, ensure your water supply is turned off.

You can add the pipe to push the water below the main body of water as the pressure from the pipe will be strong. If you don't want to do that then add a pipe piece to direct the water against the wall of the tank and that will reduce the noise too.

That's exactly what I was suggesting but my explanation wasn't quite there

You can add the pipe to push the water below the main body of water.

Don't do this.
If the mains water stops for some reason, this pipe will siphon all the water out of your water tank and back out the mains pipe. If the pipe reaches the bottom of your tank, then it will also siphon the gunk out of the bottom of your tank and will end up in your kitchen tap and in your (or your neighbours) kettle!

Mains does not work like this but if this is a worry then just fit a one way valve on the piece of pipe you add to the system.

Noise from a water tank in your attic comes with the territory. Leave well enough alone or you're risking some eventual water leak. You can however reduce the sound you're hearing by putting inexpensive styrofoam sheets around the water tank (underneath, sides and even on top)..

Don't insulate under the tank, as it might freeze during cold weather. This is specifically mentioned when insulating an attic.

Suggestions to divert the water in some way, so that it is not dropping straight down seem reasonable, but not attaching a length of hose. You could certainly add a length of open pipe to direct the water at a shallower angle.

In a previous post I suggested that styrofoam placed under the water tank will reduce noise. Please do not put styrofoam under the water tank. It will cause the tank to freeze and burst as a result.

Thanks to Buddyboy for pointing this out too.

Drill a small hole maybe 1mm diameter in the top of the drop pipe close to the ball cock valve. This will prevent water being siphoned out of the tank as air will be drawn in.

Back