Lots of viewings but no offers!

We have advertised our baseline selling price (and are including contents) which is just €5k above the offer that we got originally.

I really think in the current market its all about Price, Price, Price.

If you felt that offer was 'reasonable' and regret not accepting it, your current asking price should be at or below that level. You really need to cut your expectations to the bone if you want to sell, painful as that may be.

Unfortunately the economy is only going to get worse for the next couple of years, so by holding out for a few extra grand today, you could wind up costing yourself a lot more in the future. Any pain you experience as a vendor, feel free to pass that on when you become a prospective purchaser. The supply/demand equation will be strongly in your favour. Good luck with it.

That must be frustrating. We can't get the viewers OR the offers. It's so hard!

Then the price must not be affordable. People are not looking to buy at the minute, many are expecting a 50% drop in prices from 2006 levels. I would suggest anyone trying to sell to think what your asset will be worth in a few years time. The quicker you get rid of it the less you will lose on it. It may sound harsh but that is the way the market is going.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is good value 10-12 miles outside Galway City and what area are you talking about ? Not buying at the moment but this is what I would be looking at myself

Just head out either the Headford Road or Tuam Road (e.g. Corandulla) pay no heed to the asking prices on Daft as there is room for SERIOUS negotiation from what I can gather!

You want to move to the other side of Galway? Have you thought about the commute? The traffic into Galway from the East side has been horrendous since the boom? Have you thought about the costs of running a big house, the heating bills can be horrendous.

I have looked at lots of places out in knocknacarra. Carigeen, Sliabh Rioga (Rahoon), Cartur mor & Leas na Mara. The prices are still slow to come down in the city. Considering making an offer with Leas na Mara being a front runner.. We will probably offer ~12% less than the asking price, which is roughly 30K. Not sure if we'll be laughed out the door or if we will be considered. Time will tell i suppose.

You want to move to the other side of Galway? Have you thought about the commute? The traffic into Galway from the East side has been horrendous since the boom? Have you thought about the costs of running a big house, the heating bills can be horrendous.

The traffic in from the roscam side is relatively heavy but manageable.Have also been considering houses in Rosaoin & Boireann Bheag, but they are pricey.. Again, would have to offer in the region of 12% less than the asking price and see what the reaction is.

We both work that side of the city + my family would be closer. The house we are interested in isn't massive - it just has a playroom, extra bedroom and a good sized garden - that's all we want really!

Considering making an offer with Leas na Mara being a front runner.. We will probably offer ~12% less than the asking price, which is roughly 30K.
Minstrel boy - good luck with your offer. Am i right in saying you are planning to offer €220k for a house guided at €250k? If it was me I couldn't afford to consider that offer but who knows the situation of the sellers. We have two ensuites and 400 sq foot of lovely space in our attic so I'm hoping to get an offer of €240k (had one already but passed it up D'oh!). If you want a house to compare come look at mine!

Minstrel boy - good luck with your offer. Am i right in saying you are planning to offer €220k for a house guided at €250k?

Yeah, thats the kind of thing we are considering. Not sure how it will go down, but we'll see. 240 sounds reasonable for a house with 2 ensuites. the extra attic space is a bonus too. How old is the house?

Was out in athenry at the weekend, and was in 4 different estates that are half finished with no signs of further development. Its impossible to know how far the value of those houses could fall, so I would see it as a major risk to buy out there. There was a crazy amount of houses built in that town.

How old is the house?quote]
14 years I think

Wouldn't go near Athenry either - although supposed to be a really good Secondary School there for when the young 'uns grow up!

I think you are definitely safer sticking close to the city as there will always be some sort of demand / possibility to rent there.

Bronte,
My 'Quote' function got a little muddled. I wouldn't be putting any offers on any house until contracts were signed on my own. Its 'Minstrel Boy' that's putting on that offer...

Sorry I got muddled with the two of you. Minstrel Boy I wouldn't buy in any estate that is half finished, it might be remaining that way forever ! In relation to Athenry I had a relation close to the Golf Club and the traffic was really bad coming into Galway in the morning.

Yvonne your reasons for moving make sense, it's hard to get accross the city from your side. Look at some of the older estates, houses were built larger and on bigger plots in the past rather than more recent boxes. Also older stock have, in general, large attics that can be converted rather than the new houses with roofs in one piece.

Sorry I got muddled with the two of you. Minstrel Boy I wouldn't buy in any estate that is half finished,quote]

No i dont think its worth the risk either. I visitied all the same estates in athenry in may and no work has been completed on them in the last 3 months. That has definitley put me off.

Hopefully the city prices will come down another 25K or so, or else a bid will be accepted and then we'll be in business

Back