Lots of queries on rewiring a house

Thanks for the replies. I gather the general conception is apparently €70 per downlighter supply and fit. However I supplied ALL of my own fittings as requested by the electrician. Can anybody give me an idea of the fitting only price? Also, the general standard of the works completed was way below par. The electrician himself went on holidays for 7 weeks and left a Polish guy in his 2nd year apprenticeship ... completely unsupervised to complete the job. I bought lovely brushed steel flat plate sockets which were all fitted crooked and look a sight! The spots were positioned out of line and the holes for the lights were cut out with a knife. Nothing is flush with the walls or ceiling. It became obvious as the work was being completed that the guy had never heard of an intermediary switch nor had any knowledge of low to wire up 2 way light switches. Is there a standard for the height and spacing for wall twin sockets? Certainly if I was putting the house on the market as a refurb I would encounter a huge problem as the majority of people would find the standard totally unacceptable. Anybody any ideas what I can do now?

Has the price of cabling come down? Also is it just me - but not much work at the moment for Electrician's? Also just got a guy out to give me a quote and he said it's new regulations to fit smoke alarms in downstairs room's connected to the electricity -he said they are very small -anybody know about this?

Last edited:
I've had my house rewired not so long ago, and I had 2 firealamrs fitted downstairs, and was also told that this is a requirement, and the guy was reici certified and a friend of my other half's sister, so he wouldn't have lied about that kind of stuff. And I can say, they're dead handy, they're small round little things and they never beep unlike the battery operated ones I have that will scare the life out of you when their battery life comes to an end...

OP - you might also think about getting lamp sockets - no idea what they are called, but it means having one or more swtiches by your main light switch that control the lamps in the room, can have dimmers too. It stops you having to go to each lamp individually (if you have lamps!), also being able to dim a lamp is handy.

OP - you might also think about getting lamp sockets - no idea what they are called, but it means having one or more swtiches by your main light switch that control the lamps in the room, can have dimmers too. It stops you having to go to each lamp individually (if you have lamps!), also being able to dim a lamp is handy.

6 Amp Sockets.

The price of €70 you quoted for fitting a new downlighter. Did that include the light fitting/lamp? I supplied all my own parts and just need wiring and fixing. 100 = €7000 appears high for fitting 100, so I am just questioning it. Thanks for your replies.

I want to totally rewire a 1950s 3-bed bungalow. Nothing out of the ordinary but I do need loads of extra sockets etc. Just got my first quote and am still reeling from the shock: €11,000 plus VAT!!

Back