lost mobile and insurance claim

tilly1

Hi everyone, just a quick question, i lost my phone last night and i have insurance with a bill phone. It says on the policy that it covers loss but then goes on to say it does not cover if left in a pubilc place or place to which people unknown to myself have easy and unresticted access.. I simply just lost it, i dont know how but i did not have it when i returned home. will i be covered??

Hi Tilly,

I have moved your thread to the Insurance Forum as it the more appropriate one for your query.

You don't mention what provider you are with. As it is a bill phone I think it is important that you contact your provider to curtail costly calls being made.

Have you tried ringing the phone to see if anyone has found it and is willing to return it to you.

It should be noted that most phone insurance policies are notoriously difficult to claim off of. Firstly get the phone disabled to stop call charges and take it from there.

I lost my mobile phone abroad under similar circumstances. Couldn't specify exactly where it was lost, other than I had it at the start of an evening out and didn't have it when I got home, having visited a few different venues in between. I said as much on the claim form and Vodafone's insurance replaced the phone without quibble.

I think the insurance policy is referring to instances where you deliberately left it in a place from where it could be easily taken - the reception desk of a busy office building, for example. You lost your phone, therefore you should be covered. Do report it to the Gardaí, though - most insurance policies require you to do that before you can make your claim. And definitely contact your phone provider as soon as possible - some state that you must inform them within 24 hours in order to make an insurance claim.

Back