Lost deeds - lost millions

• Thread starter thebhoymalon
  • Start date
T

thebhoymalon

Ok so heres what I need some help about. First of all I'll explain exactly what is happening. Land in a prime location in Dublin is rightfully ours. There are a number of problems which I will explain briefly. My grandad left the deeds to approximately 30 acres of land into a solicitors. My grandfather changed solicitor and wanted the deeds transferred, but the solicitor with the deeds died and no trace of the deeds have been found ever since. This happened almost 40 years ago. My grandfather left my own father and his brothers and sisters all the land in his will, but without the deeds we have no proof. Meanwhile my grandfathers step-brother, who lives beside the land in Dublin as well as other neighbours have come together and are trying to claim pieces of the land for themselves. The only things we have that would amount to being labelled as proof would be the two wills from my grandfather and great grandfather stating the land was ours plus the name of the land is still called after our surnames which suggests we are the rightfully owners of it. So what I need to know is where my family should go from here with no deeds and no hard evidence. Also is there any way the relevant information could be stored on some government archives where we could find. And if all else fails is there such thing in the Republic of Ireland as squatters rights on a large scale, i.e if we put a caravan on our land and lived on it for several years and claim it that way? All help or contacts is greatly appreciated here, thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears to be unregistered land. So the Land Registry are unlikely to be of any help.

Yes "Squatter's Rights" kick in after 12 years. How long have the neighbours and your Grandfather's step-brother been on the land?

Get legal advice.

You can have a search carried out in the Registry of Deeds, Henrietta Street. Search against your grandfathers name and the lands in question, between particular dates. You really should take legal advice asap - also who took over the practice of the solicitor who died? This should be checked out, someone out there could have the deeds in safe keeping. Please go to a solicitor right away, they will go through all the necessary steps to locate the deeds and take it from there whatever the outcome!

You definitely need professional advise straight away - [broken link removed] might be able to offer some advice.

We have the Memorial of Deed of our Great Great Grandfather's land and the name is the same as ours right through from 1847 to the present day. Can anybody tell me do we own the land we live on? Or do we need other documents?

Back